Tuesday, June 25, 2024

Deck Work Day

Sheba and I walked with Stacy and Otis, and we got home just before Pete arrived with is sack of tools and his big smile. I’d brought out the lumber, tools and screws he’d need, and laid them out on the deck, so we got right to work.

First, we had to take up all the rotten pieces. Pete had borrowed a neighbour’s saw—an amazing saw that vibrates back and forth very quickly. It enabled us to cut through planks in the deck and replace pieces of long planks them with new wood. We didn’t have to remove the entire plank. Then we had to cut new pieces and install them.

At 1:00, I came inside to make us a vegetarian lunch. I had nice fresh French bread from some smart bakery who’s name I’ve forgotten. But I made cheese, onion, lettuce and cheddar sandwiches, with lots of mayo and mustard on nice thick and fluffy pieces of bread. And I made a Caesar salad on the side with dressing I make that everyone loves. Pete was thrilled. I told him he could call me his bitch.

I had a great time being a practical assistant. I really enjoy Pete’s company. We have lots of laughs and we are both diligent workers. Pete is a blessing. He is generous with cuttings of things in their garden, and he had rebuilt my deck. He and Ali are good friends. I am lucky with my neighbours.

I fell asleep several times watching TV, so I went to be early and slept death deep.

Today, I must water all the beds and then I aim to stain the deck.
















No comments: