Friday, June 21, 2024

Routine is Good!

Look at these two men! What a night the Tony Awards was for them and their show. I adore them both and they are on top of the world right now. Jonathan Groff and Daniel Radcliffe. What a pair! What a team!

We walked alone, we went into the village to shop for food, and then I came home to water all the edible beds and the front beds. Then I took a very short nap in the sunshine. It was the warmest day of the year, so far. It was a t-shirt, shorts and sandals day from the get-go. By mid-day, it was 25° so I knew that we were in for a hot afternoon.

Post rest, I got busy with staining the parts of the deck we replaced last Summer. The hardware store advised us to weather the wood over the Winter and to not stain it until this year. That is now done. Pete is coming on Monday to replace more sections of rotten wood. Then there will be more staining. 

My back was dying by the time I finished staining the deck. I had to lie down because the pain was quite intense. And once rested, it was time to take Her Highness to the park to play fetch, but not for long. She hates being hot, so we took things slowly and returned home after playing for not very long. It was 28° when we came home.

Thankfully, my last task of the day could be done in the shade. Every time I plant another Clematis or other vine to grow up the fence surrounding the edible garden, I must put up some chicken wire to protect the vines from the Deer, and I had one more to do. Once that task was done, I was done for the day, and I could relax. And relaxing felt very good in my nice cool home. Now that it’s hot, the coolness of the house is something I appreciate.

I could be busy all day every day at Pinecone Park. Just keeping up with general household duties is a lot, but husbanding ½ an acre puts an extraordinary demand on me, and now things are ramping up because the heat means watering every day. Thank goodness I don’t mind the watering. It enables me to monitor every plant and tree.

I struggled to speak with Kris, Nancy and Steve on Tuesday. It disappointed me because there were so many signs of improvement. I’m monitoring and recording my speech, seizure and spasm experience because of being on this new drug. One good thing is that I am not noticing any side effects.

I did my nightly walkabout as the sun was going down. It was a wonderful 28°. It was thrilling to be so warm outside. And it is showing. I had to provide emergency water to three plants that I had watered the day before. My plants are my babies and so caring for them is not a burden—especially now that things are looking so good. Nothing is pressing, but there are a zillion things I can do at a nice slow pace. And … wearing my new back brace thingmy that I hope serves me well.

It's thrilling to see the deck all spruced up. Since the repairs last Spring, there have been several unpainted boards, but now the deck looks sparking bright and new. I painted all the scuffed places and it looks wonderful.

Routine, I have only recently come to realize, is a big part of my life. And I get it. It fits with what I understand about my condition. My three mornings a week walking dogs with the same people for 6 years, always on the same trails. Eating, often the same things for weeks or months, at the same time. Feeding the brood at set times, in the same order. The endless dinner and a movie. That’s why I want to stay here, on Gabriola, and in my home. It’s all about feeling safe to keep speech up and seizures down.

I’m going to move some plants today. I’m excited about doing the work. I may pick up some plants on the big island on Saturday when I go back to Nanoose Bay to see Di, her daughter, her daughter’s fiancĂ©, and our friends Lynn, Jane and Dana. Woo hoo. Elder party!

And next week, the eye surgeon and then dinner with a friend from childhood whom I admired and liked very much. I’m really excited about seeing him and getting after 40 years apart. He came from a great family. There were five kids: Don, Ed, Patricia, John, and Louise. I was so jealous of Don, having so many siblings/friends.

All this sunshine, gardening, and some social engagements … life is good.
















No comments: