Monday, September 16, 2024

David & Lydia Visit

Saturday dawned dark and wet, so I lit a small fire. I wanted the place to be warm and cosy for David and Lydia. But by noon, the day had become sunny and bright. Her Highness and I went for a short walk before going into the village to attend the Farmers’ Market. I wanted to get some plumbs and dog treats for Sheba. Then we came home, and I got busy baking another plumb cake for our dinner. 

The house was full of the smell of a baked plumb tart when they arrived at 2:45. It was a lovely way to welcome them to Pinecone Park. Sheba, of course, provided the 21-bark salute. We all came inside, and they got settled and then we got to chatting over snacks and (non-alcoholic) drinks. It felt wonderful to be back together, and I had enjoyed a long Zoom chat with Steve in the morning, so we had him to discuss as well.

All we did all afternoon was talk and laugh together. I am so, so comfortable with these two dear friends who are a vital part of my legacy of life with Steve. They loved the dinner I made, and so did I. I’d made a great Caesar salad, that I forgot to serve them, pesto pasta with fresh basil from the garden, and for protein and cooked us each 5 huge prawns in a very buttery sauce with dill, shallot, and garlic, and we ate an entire (small) baguette, dipping pieces into the Prawn sauce. And I served my plumb cake for dessert. Then we watched a movie and went to bed. 

Saturday was quite showery, although there were some generous sunny periods, but Sunday dawned bright and sunny (and cool). Lydia and I began our day with a long, long soak in the spa, and then we all went on a long forest walk together. After our walk, we dropped Sheba off at home and we went to the Surf for lunch. It could have been a big mistake.

When we pulled into the parking lot, it was jammed with cars. We arrived at 1:00, got a table by the window, and when we ordered, the server advised us tha there would be an hour wait for the food. Lydia was unhappy about that; she wanted to leave, but Dave and I were willing to wait. So, Lydia went on a hunt and came back to the table with a deck of cards, and we had a ball playing Crazy Eights until our meal arrived at 2:00. We ate enthusiastically and came home to rest from a busy morning.

We’d eaten lunch so late, we weren’t hungry, so I offered them the salad I’d forgotten to serve the night before, and that was perfect for everyone. And we watched Waking Ned Divine, a movie I have long loved, and David and Lydia were laughing all the way through it. Then it was off to bed early because they were up at 5:30 this morning, and they left at 6:00.

It's always sad when guests leave. I will have a chill day today as life returns to normal. I lit a morning fire to heat up the house for the day, and I plan to take it easy all day. 

















No comments: