Wednesday, September 18, 2024

Shopping

Monday’s big achievements were many for this non-speaking, weak as paper man. 

I went to Arbutus Building Centre for the rebar and stucco wire that Henri needs to rebuild my little fences around my trees in the front yard. I went to the till where I knew someone who was working there. Robin and I attended to a guy who’d dropped unconscious beside me in Nester’s. He was working there at the time, and we bonded over the incident.

Knowing him allowed me to, with great difficulty, tell him what I wanted. It was very hard as I had not brought a pen and paper. I learned my lesson. Eventually I got everything paid for and he told me to take the receipt to Zed (?) and Jake, two workers working in the yard, but when I looked at the receipt, it did not explain that the 100’ of rebar I needed was to be in 5’ lengths. So, I asked Robin if he could come with me to explain what I wanted to the guys.

Robin walked me into the yard and introduced me to the guys. Then he turned to me and told them my name. And then he said, “He’s got a bit of a speech problem, so pay attention when he’s speaking, okay.” I was taken aback. That was the first time that I can remember of being introduced that way, and I really appreciate it. It lessens my anxiety, thereby increasing my potential to speak.

I got everything into the truck and then took Sheba to the park to play fetch. What achievement was involved with park play? I’ve become very, very good at throwing the ball with my left hand. Right shoulder killer pain prevents me from using my right hand for many things, but throwing the ball was tough. But no more! 

Carrying the rebar just a few meters from the car to a place in the front yard not visible from the road was brutal for Mr. Weak, but I did it. I carried only two pieces of rebar at a time, and I rolled the wire across the yard instead of carrying it. I was chuffed by all I did yesterday, and I was really in good spirits because it was a stunning day. It was a wonderful 24° at 3:00 pm. So, into the spa I went to end my day of chores.

Last night I watched the Emmys. I’d taped it; the awards show once interested me. I enjoyed many moments of the broadcast, for sure, but thank God for the mute and fast-forward buttons. I was particularly moved and impressed by Richard Gadd’s speech (as writer of Baby Reindeer) and his achievement. It felt intensely honest, and his message was valuable. I cried seeing such a good man.

Tuesday began with a walk with Her Highness and then I took her to the groomers. I love it when she goes and comes home smelling so sweet and looking so, so smart. After I picked her up, we came home for lunch and then I left her here at home and I went to the library for my second session of ASL with a very small group. I signed up (pardon the pun) for 10 classes, once a week.

I was not in good shape yesterday. My weakness was extreme; every time I breathed in, it hurt, so I am keen for my Oct. 2 appointment with Jennifer here to get a referral to the Pacific Lung Clinic. After the class, I just wanted to chill and so when I got home, I had a long nap, and the rest of the afternoon was slow and easy.

I watched a shit movie and went to bed early last night. Today, Henri comes for his first day of working with me, and it’s a gorgeous day for us to work in.



The Emerald Sand Dunes in Brazil fill with rainwater every year,

creating crystal clear lagoons. Even though it looks like a desert,

it gets 47 inches of water per year making it too rainy 

to be officially considered a desert.







The Richat Structure, also known as "The Eye of the Sahara.” 

Located in Mauritania, the structure is about 50 km in 

diameter. It was initially thought to be the result of an

impact event because large meteors typically produce 

circular features on Earth's surface. But geologic studies 

have revealed that it is an uplifted geologic dome, 

also known as a domed anticline.








No comments: