Saturday, September 14, 2024

Lydia & David Day 1

Friday was wet and I was happy to not have to water any garden beds. I did some shopping and I did some prep for my dinner with Lydia and David tonight.

The best thing about yesterday was Henri. He’s my new gardener. He’s an old guy, no teeth, ponytail, lazy eye, but he fills me with enthusiasm and relief because I have faith in him as a gardener and a man. He arrived when he said he would, and he is very straight forward. He’s starting work on Wednesday, and I’m thrilled. 

I planted a lilac, plumb, apple and maple tree in the front yard, and I built a makeshift fence around them to protect them from the deer. They look awful, so Henri is going to build me new ones that will better serve the trees, look nicer, and be all the same in design. My front yard will look much nicer. I believe I’ve found myself a knowledgeable and reliable gardener. Bronwyn was knowledgeable but completely unreliable.

I’m glad it rained so much yesterday. We all had a cosy day inside with a small fire. Sheba and I had a good long walk in the morning, and she hates the rain, so she was content to be indoors all day. But the best thing about the rain is that I don’t have to do any watering while David and Lydia are here.

I went to David and Lydia’s wedding. I barely knew Lydia when she married. My relationship with Steve was just beginning when we met. She, Steve, their mother, Martha, and I were a unit. We loved being together. I felt we were the heartbeat of the family at celebrations.

Martha took me for a walk once. We walked around the Lake near their home, and at one point she stopped. She turned to me, and she had tears rolling down her cheeks, and she said, “I’m so sorry. I wasted two years being cold to you because you were making me see and accept what my son was. I was so wrong to do that. I see that you love him as much as I do.” And she hugged me. From then all, all her cards and letters to me were signed ‘Mom.’

When I became Steve’s partner, I got a whole family. After Steve left, they all came up to have Christmas with me. Martha is dead now, but Lydia and I have an unbreakable bond. Being uncle to her children has been one of my life’s greatest joys. I’m particularly close to Gene. I babysat him often. He was the first baby I got to hold and love. He feels to be part of me.

We’re going to have a great visit together.
















No comments: