Wednesday, September 25, 2024

Save the Birds (keep cats indoors)

Photographer Patricia Homonylo, from Canada, was declared the Bird Photographer of the Year for her thought-provoking image ‘When Worlds Collide’. The photograph shows birds killed by colliding with windows and other reflective surfaces in urban areas.

“Each year more than one billion birds die in North America alone due to collisions with windows,” says Homonylo. “I am a conservation photojournalist and have been working with the Fatal Light Awareness Program, where we save window-collision survivors in Toronto. Sadly, most of the birds we find are already dead. They are collected and at the end of the year we create this impactful display to honour the lives lost and increase public awareness.”

"I hope people are shocked by what they see and are moved to act by using bird-safe glass and supporting organisations like FLAP.”

monday

Monday began with me lighting an early morning fire to take the chill off in the house. It rained last night and so the ground is spongy wet, but that did not deter my friends and I from our morning forest walk together. And then I came home to do my ASL homework, for tomorrow we meet for another class. 

It didn’t rain all day, but it was damp outside from the overnight rain. Sheba slept much of the day after our morning walk, as I practiced my signs, and late in the afternoon, we went to Rollo Park to play fetch. No one called, I got not one email all day, and Pinecone Park was still. There was no wind, and there were no neighbours. Everyone was doing something, thereby leaving me in a wonderful peaceful quiet.

tuesday

Tuesday dawned foggy but the skies quickly cleared, and we enjoyed a lovely sunny day. It was a balmy 20° as I headed into the village at noon to go to my ASL class. I really enjoy the classes, but they will not do much for me. I’ve no one to sign with for practice. I’m very glad, however, that my finger spelling is getting quicker because that could be very handy for me one day.

In the afternoon, I made more pesto sauce. I am stocking up for Winter. And then I just chilled for a bit before going for our afternoon walk together. To begin with, I planned to visit Rollo Park to play fetch, but they had fertilized the fields and the air stank. On Facebook, people were blaming the pulp and paper plant on the big island, such was the power and extent of the stink on the island.

wednesday

It’s raining, so it will be a very slow indoor day. There will be no dog walk this morning, a small fire, and more cooking. I am making another batch of soup like the one I made last week. I began with a Jamie Oliver recipe, but I had to improvise because I could not get the key ingredient here on the island, so now I have a soup of my own invention that is to die for good.
















No comments: