Monday, September 30, 2024

Better Breathing

saturday

I fixed a broken door handle, I did laundry, I did a major sterilizing of the cats’ litter box, I cleaned windows and dusted furniture, I cleaned the guest bathroom and did more laundry—the guest bed linen—and I vacuumed everywhere. I also did many other little chores around the house. It was a productive way to pass a cloudy, windy morning indoors.

When I do my laundry, I hang all the t-shirts and hoodies on hangers, and I hand them up to dry on the long curtain rod over the double doors leading to the cattery. I put my socks, towels, facecloths, dishtowels and underwear on a collapsible rack that I put under one of my ceiling fans. That’s how I dry my laundry and save money by not using the clothes dryer. I always light a fire when I am drying laundry, so I love laundry days.

After lunch, inspiration came. I went on YouTube and into the search bar, I typed ‘myocardial perfusion scan’ and voilà, there was a video showing me everything that will happen over the two-day test. It set my mind at rest. Yes, my arms will still have to go back behind my head, but I’ll be lying on a bed and not a beam, and the scan is closer to 15 minutes as opposed to the 45 minutes it took during my past MPS. Relief!

It brightened up outside just before it was time for the sun to set. I installed myself on the chaise with my dinner and I finished off watching season 14 of the British Baking Show. Heaven!

I came here because I couldn’t take living in the city. I was in shock still, due to the onset of FND. And I got pets and then I planted gardens without realizing what that would mean for me for all Summers thereafter. All these things, the disease, the plants and the pets, anchored me here.

I’m so lucky to be happy here, because I didn’t come here for the bliss I enjoy now. I didn’t know anything about this island. I fell in love with this house when I saw it for sale online. I didn’t know anything about Gabriola or living rurally. But I came and I made this place my home.

I’m amazed that I am never, for even a moment, bored, even though I spend most of my time here alone (but with my pets). This place is truly my sanctuary.

sunday

Sunday was a brilliantly sunny day, and it lasted all day, but it began at a chilly five degrees. Only five degrees! But Sunday is My Day, and so I did as I pleased all day, and that involved a fair bit of napping. But … I accomplished something very exciting.

Mid-day, I found myself itching to walk and I felt strong, so I headed to the Ricki Avenue trail—the one that begins with a long slow rise, and the one that defeated me when, in June, I suddenly found myself unable to sustain any exertion. And I made it up the hill. I would say that whatever is wrong with me is less wrong now, three months later. It was hard to do the hill, but I stopped and rested and then continued and made it all the way to the top. I see my GP on Wednesday, and I will be telling her. 

monday

I’ve written to my fellow dog walkers this morning, proposing that we walk together at Ricki Ave. It’s our favourite Winter trail as it never gets large puddles (small lakes in some cases) that are so obnoxious to this owner of a white dog. When we walk at Ricki Ave., I never have to wash Shebie’s feet when we come home.

When I went outside for wood to build a fire, the sky was clear, and the sky filled with bright stars was beautiful. But when daylight broke, the sky was completely overcast with thick grey clouds. It was predicted to be a day like Sunday, sunny all day, so I’m disappointed because it takes the joy out of our walks. Yesterday’s afternoon walk was wonderfully uplifting. I was full of pride and joy walking on the Ricki Ave. trail. It felt so, so amazing to feel that my breathing problems were improving.
















No comments: