Saturday, September 28, 2013

Analytics Orgy


Very few people have this address — just a few close friends, but inevitably some stranger happens on your blog and suddenly you get an unexpected and dramatic increase in visits to your blog.

On another of my blogs related to my work in the visual arts, I've had three "viral" posts. By that I mean posts that someone Tweets or posts on Facebook or something so that my normal 200 hits per day suddenly become 3,000 hits per day. Once, for a brief period, my old blog Eye Candy suddenly started getting thousands of hits per day just in Poland.

Recently on my business blog, I wrote about how much I hate music on visual art websites and that went "viral" (on my scale of activity), garnering 500 - 600 hits per day for months.

This is a very modest blog. It gets 10 - 15 hits per day, but yesterday I noticed that my post with photos of my peach tart with "tarte aux peaches" written on it in pastry drove 124 hits yesterday.
The video above is of a song I fell for listening to my favourite radio station in Lyon, France. Let Her Go is a  huge hit in Europe because of a Dutch DJ named "Dave" who heard the song on an obscure album by a young singer songwriter who calls himself "Passenger." It is moving to watch Michael Rosenberg (Passenger) always credit Dave at every performance because this video for Let Her Go has over 99 million hits now.

No comments: