Saturday, November 2, 2013

A Kid Again


I did not have a happy childhood. Enough said. But one of my earliest memories of joy was getting an aquarium. Partly, it was having my own “pets;” partly it was the private ecstasy of being alone with them in the dark of my bedroom after my parents had gone to bed. I would turn the aquarium light on and it would glow like a pod from space in a science fiction movie. I’d watch the fish with the same hypnotic and delicious meditative fascination as I watched flame flicker in the fire.

My fish took me to another world. I loved their elegant movements and their gorgeous colour. And I loved how they would come to the top or the front of the tank when I’d approach. They’d think I was going to feed them but it made me love them for acknowledging me. I felt we had a relationship of trust and love.

I think that is why I have taken so strongly to fish again. I am feeling all those joys again. But yesterday when Liberace was stressed, I was too. We’ve been through a lot together and I want him to enjoy his fine new sixty-gallon home. I was thrilled to see him relax later in the day.

What a treat it has been letting this passion flow.

No comments: