Friday, January 16, 2015

Oolala



Oooooh. I have two display forms in my teeny weeny office. I really wish I had a murphy bed in my bedroom (it abuts my office) so that it could be a proper studio. I absolutely love creating with my hands; I love inventing design as I go. (I like "trying" rather than "researching;"I prefer to avoid the influence of others in order to protect my pleasure of discovery. The process is as much fun as a producing a successful outcome.

I have my drawings on one wall, my set model on my desk, three paper wigs I made on mannequin heads, also in my office, and now the two dress forms that will soon bear improvised paper dresses. I can hardly wait to post photos here. But …

I feel very vulnerable heading into a production that I wrote, appear in (and in the principal role) and for which I have designed the set and the costumes. It is a huge risk; perhaps if any critics come, they will be kind and recognize that. But the only critic that matters is the Georgia Straight’s, Colin Thomas, and Kim says he rarely ventures over to the North Shore. Phew.

I am working on the "telegrams" in the script.  The radiant event of family traditions is a wedding and part of the fun at a wedding is when the best man reads telegrams from guests who couldn’t attend. Many are funny; some are poignant. So I have asked several people involved with the events discussed in my piece to send me short anecdotes that can be presented as part of the show on tape or delivered by the cast. I call these contributions, "telegrams."

Well one telegram I wanted was from Ann Mortifee because when Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau opened the theatre I designed and built, he asked me to get him Ann's phone number. That was almost forty years ago, and I have never known if they got together so I called her to ask—finally moved to do so for the sake of a "telegram" for my script.

Well am I glad I did! Her date turned into several dates as Pierre's companion during the entire royal visit, so she and Pierre and Queen Elizabeth and Prince Phillip double dated several times. Come see my show June 4 - 14 at Presentation House.

No comments: