Friday, October 20, 2023

Dr. Shoja is Back in the House

Thursday was a much better day than Wednesday. It wasn’t raining for a start, and by 10:00 am, there were shadows as the sun struggled to break through the canopy of clouds. It just felt lovely to be free from the torrential rains of our latest atmospheric river. Also, as each day of being mute passes, I am less freaked out.

I’ve written a letter to the pharmacy, asking for their email address so that I can order refills via email. And I’ve started writing to friends to alert them to changes in how we will communicate henceforth. I also ordered the new device that will enable me to program more messages for my personal health alarm and the phone.

I’m almost finished Covenant of Water. Boo. But I’ve really enjoyed a good long story extremely well told. However, to slow things down, I watched a movie yesterday afternoon, and I made popcorn to eat while I watched it. And oh! The smell of the popcorn and I was immediately remembering countless movie experiences of my past. The smell is so evocative of movie theatres.

Yesterday was lovely because I was at peace with my speech situation. I realize that there is naught to do but to carry on, and that’s what I’m doing. One day at a time.

Ali and Pete came by in the afternoon. Being with them, just for a few minutes, confirmed my worst fears. It’s just not the same, being with people. I want to say things but can’t. I try, and I can be understood if I say words or even a very short sentence, but it is like drinking water when you are hungry and there is no food. It keeps you alive but you’re still hungry.

I’m going ahead with my visit to Nicola and John and Bunny, but I worry about how it is going to go. Perhaps, with my devices, it will be better. It’s not easy using the devices when we’re standing outside. They work better when I am seated indoors with people.

Hooray!!!!!  I have an appointment on Nov. 6th with Dr. Shoja. I feel better already and that I am not alone. Not only did she give me an appointment, she used words that are so wonderfully reassuring. I could not wish for a better therapist. 














Oooh! a fireplace in the bathroom. Heaven, And towels dry
quickly and are warm to the touch. Yum!

No comments: