Sunday, October 29, 2023

Inviting David

Saturday was gorgeous but cold. Our morning walk was short but wonderful. I am constantly thrilled by the fragrances of the forest, and yesterday, perhaps due to the cold, was evocatively fragrant. When we came home, I settled blissfully into the chaise to read while Her Highness rested until lunch.

Our lunch was late, and Ron came by right after we were finished, to take Sheba for her afternoon walk. I got busy on the splitter. I can do half an hour at a stretch, but then my back is hurting, so I stop for 15 minutes of rest before taking on a second half hour. I’ve now put three hours of work on our machine. In two more, I must change the oil. I am losing my fear of machines.

I’m really chuffed by how much wood I’ve split in a total, so far, of 3 hours. I have, probably, two months use of starter pieces done. It’s very, very easy now to start a fire, and I only rarely use my maul to chop wood. Its only use is to chop kindling from wood I’ve split, and it’s a piece of cake to do.

And after all the spitting, why a spa, of course! Sunshine, hot water and me. Yes!

I had a lovely long chat on Facetime with David Jr., my young English friend about whom I’m passionate. He’s the nephew of my former boss and wonderful friend, David Sr., and he came out to me. I was the first person he told, and I’ve become his gay uncle Chris. I could not love the guy more. He is a surrogate nephew for me.

As a gift to myself for my birthday and Christmas, I invited him here for the holiday. I offered to buy his plane ticket, and to send him home with some cash to cover lost work while he’s here. The lad is an artistic obsessive. I love his work, but he makes no money from it, so he figures prominently in my will.

He seemed positive about the invitation. I’ve been trying to get him over here for a decade but he always declines. All previous attempts were to bring him over in Summer when he gets decorating work, so this invitation is the first for a Winter visit and he seems far, far more interested. So, I may be in for a spectacular December if he comes.

After 3 weeks with no appointments and just the second coming to attend to, I have a busy week coming up—busy for me is having one thing to do in a day. My, how my life has changed since the onset of FND. It’s so, so different, and much better for my body and soul. 

When young and active—stories to tell—now I have nothing to talk about except my condition. And I don’t want to talk about that except when I need to ask Kris to make a call for me. And I’m still being tentative, monitoring my speech in different situations to understand my new state of being. To me, the change is big. No one around me notices the change. 

I’m really enjoying my current reading. I’m reading novels I’ve bought before becoming addicted to mystery or detective novels. I read all of the novels of P.D. James, Louise Penny, Martin Walker, and Donna Leon. Now every book is different and I’m enjoying that. 

Today is going to be another bright and sunny day. And it’s still cool out there. Out big community dog walk will be brisk. I’m dressing warmly and looking forward to it. Then home to chill and spa before going to Nancy’s for dinner with her, Kris and Steve. 















No comments: