Sunday, October 8, 2023

Price Gouge!

Saturday was a delicious day. It was a brilliant afternoon with temperatures reaching 24°. Our day began with a visit to the farmer’s market. It was the last one of the year so it was lovely but also kind of sad.

When I came home, I went over to Ursula and Dave’s place to ask them to get some of the hydraulic oil that we needed. There is none here on Gabriola. Ursula asked me to give her a note to take with her, bearing the name and model number of our machine, so I went online to the Canadian Tire website. I. bought the splitter there. And what an unpleasant surprise was in store for me. Our splitter, which cost us $1,300 plus taxes, was listed for $699! I was appalled, so Ursula is going into the store with my receipt to demand a refund—and to get the oil. 

I read for the rest of the afternoon, and then got ready. To go to Stacy’s for dinner. And what a blast dinner was. At the dinner table, we fell into quite a discussion about children’s rights, a passion of mine. And things got semi-intense (but always warm and respectful) between me and Bryce, who was a judge. It was a great discussion.

So, here’s how the shock of the day happened…. I went over to Ursula and Dave’s to ask Ursula, Grievin and Sarah to get some hydraulic oil while they are on the big island. They are going to Ursula’s son’s place in Victoria for Thanksgiving dinner. They were fine with getting the oil, but they asked me to give them a note with the name of the machine and the model number, so I came home to look it up.

I went to the Canadian Tire website, and I was shocked and sickened to see that the wood splitter, for which we’d paid $1,299, was listed at $699.00! It’s now almost half the price, so I went back to Ursula with the receipt and all the data that she wanted, and I told her about the price. She is going to demand that they match the new price and return the difference.

And now it is Sunday, my day to loaf. Her Highness and I are walking with the big community dog walk, and then I’m coming home to read and putter around the house. I love Sundays. 















No comments: