Monday, October 2, 2023

Monologue 2

Sunday was another glorious day. At 9:45, we departed to join our friend for the big Sunday dog walk. It’s always a joy to go on the Sunday walk because I know so many people and I walk with various of them over the course of the walk. It’s really a lovely weekly event.

Then it was back to Pinecone Park to read up on the assembly of our new wood splitter. Grey and Sarah, Dave’s kids next door, will help me with the assembly as Dave is away next week caring for his father in Ontario. Once assembled, I plan to split a lot of my wood. I like having zillions of smaller pieces on hand for getting my fires going.

Late in the afternoon, I went to the Commons for the annual Gabe Apple Fair. Her Highness came with me, and we both loved being part of a great annual tradition—me for the apples and seeing people, Sheba for the dog treats so many vendors have at hand for canine guests.

And then it was home for a nice warm and cozy Sunday evening with a nice warm cozy and inviting fire burning. Fires make the cold season wonderful. All I did all night was work on monologue 2, and before I knew it, it was midnight. I hadn’t stayed awake until midnight in probably a year. It’s addictive, writing in rhyme.

And today, an iffy day, I’ll likely do more work on it. This will be a very easy and calm week. I have little to do but read, write, eat and walk Her Highness. Life is good, and it’s going to take me a lot longer to work on the first draft of my monologue than I thought. I wrote to much, so fast, but now I’m doing heavy editing and it’s like starting over. But as I say, I love it. Here’s a piece of it that is working well:

Confucius, Bond and Gabled Anne,

Chaplin, Garbo, and Gauguin

Tom Sawyer, Hitchcock, and Cosette

Tarzan, Dali, Carol Burnett,

Snow White, Superman, Cinderella, Bambi

Spiderman, Mandella, and Orphan Annie

Conrad, Gogol and Camus

Their mothers knew not what to do.

Onassis, Boeing, Magellan, Dali,

Huck Finn, Batman, Edward Albee,

Howard Hughes, Streisand, Billie Holliday

Chanel, Jane Eyre, Degas, and Steinway,

Kamehameha and John Lennon,

Pippi, Mowgli, and Potemkin

And, of course, I absolutely have to mention

Hitler.  (Pause.)

Ingrid Bergman, Quasimodo

Genghis Kahn and Heidi Hoho.

Annie Oakley, Jimmy Dean.

All of us are on the team—

Team orphan.
















No comments: