Thursday, July 23, 2026

Day One with Steve

My poor dear Sheba is in rough shape. She is suffering pain in her feet so I have upped her dosage of prednisone. She’s also dealing with diarrhea, so I collected a sample from her to take to the vet’s when Steve and I (with her) go to Nanaimo and then to Cedar for dinner at Mahle House, our favourite place to eat over here.

I was up early, of course, and I focused on watering all the garden beds so that Steve and I could enjoy our day together without me worrying about plants expiring in the heat. Showers are predicted for Thursday, but I doubt that is going to happen. It may happen on Saturday. I’m longing for a break from all the watering.

We walked Sheba and I got a stool sample, and I got an appointment at the new vets at 15:00, so we’ll be going there on our way to Mahle House where we’re having dinner. I love the restaurant, but I hate leaving Sheba alone for so long in the car. She’s still feeling irritation in her feet, so I must up the prednisone even more. Sigh.

We went into Giro because Steve loves going to second hand stores, and then we came home to chill before getting into the ferry lineup to go to Nanaimo. We had no trouble getting on the ferry, and when we arrived on the big island, we went directly to the sushi bar, got some food, and went to Bowen Park to eat in the shade and to give Sheba a walk.

Then we went to a specialty food store to get some supplies for a soup Steve is making to take to Eoin and François’ place on Saturday where we are going for dinner. Then, to the vet’s where we were given advice on changing Sheba’s diet, some medicine and probiotics, and now we await the results of lab testing of the stool sample we left.

Then we went to Mahle House which is always a wonderful experience. But poor Sheba was left in the car. Even though we parked in the shade and left the windows open, it was hot for her. And when I walked her, I noticed a lot of blood in her stool. That was new and I am phoning the vet’s this morning to report it.

We made the 19:30 ferry and so we were home by 20:00, and I pretty much went directly to bed to toss and turn. I had the ceiling fan on, and I went to bed uncovered, but I had a dreadful night of it. I do not like heat!

According to the weather forecast, it will be slightly cooler today and tomorrow, and then it may rain on Saturday and after than be back to temperatures in the low twenties. Hurrah!

Yesterday was a three-seizure day. Sadly, it's what happens when I have company. The worst was having one while we were seated at Mahle House.
















No comments: