Friday, July 31, 2026

Sigh: The Last Day of July

Thursday was another bright and sunny day that maintained very comfortable temperatures throughout the day. I had lots to celebrate: Sheba is completely recovered, and I went into the medical clinic in the morning and got an appointment in the afternoon. I couldn’t believe I got right in. I needed to renew two prescriptions.

I did some spot watering during the day, we went into the village to shop for supplies at several stores, and we had good walks together, Sheba and I. Nothing of consequence happened. It was another wonderful day on our spectacular island. The highlight of my day was checking out at the hardware store when I bought two new nozzles for my hoses. The young man working there was young, very professional and stunningly handsome. (I may be old and a retired homo, but I ain’t dead!)

Sadly, the rain predicted for Saturday has disappeared from the forecast. All I see ahead is sunshine and temperatures in the mid-twenties. 

Today is the last day of July! I cannot believe how quickly time is passing. Perhaps that is part of being old, feeling time is moving too quickly. Tomorrow is Beth’s birthday. We shall celebrate when she arrives next week to spend a few days with me, then I will drive her up the coast of the big island to Courtenay where we will meet our friend, Marsha, for lunch. Beth, Marsha and I are alumni of the early days at the Arts Club Theatre.

Five days after I leave Beth in Courtnay to go to Quadra Island, I go to Vancouver for Ashlee’s wedding. I’m looking forward to the trip because I love Ash and her mom, and because that is the last of my ventures away from home.

Today we walk with our friends, I water (with new nozzles for my hoses; small thrills), and I have SPACE homework to do. I can feel Summer ending. I recognize the smell of cooler weather and rotting leaves. It makes me appreciate every lovely moment before the wet and dark season comes.

















No comments: