Monday, July 27, 2026

Rain & Steve Departs

I awoke to the delightful sound of falling rain yesterday morning. The joy I felt was slightly offset by the smell in the house created by Sheba’s deposit in the hallway. Once Steve was up, I was back on all fours cleaning the carpet with my wonderful steam cleaner. 

The rain wasn’t heavy, but it was ongoing. I continued all through the morning as Steve and I passed time on our computers as we awaited the time to depart for the ferry terminal. It was great to see my rain barrels filling up with fresh water. Showers are predicted for today, and rain is forecast for tomorrow. I’m going to love having several days off from watering the beds.

At 11:30 I took Steve to the ferry. On the way back, I stopped at Rollo Park to walk Her Highness. Then we came home and I started to read and then fell asleep. There was no rain in the afternoon. but it was dark and damp. I love rain in Summer! We all had dinner and I couldn’t decide on a movie, so Sheba and I went for a walk at 20:00. We went to Rollo Park where she is always willing to walk.

There was no one else there, and it felt like a different world in the dim light, and the dampness of the forest. I loved it. It was dead silent; there was no wind. As we walked I became conscious of feeling blessed to live here where we can walk off leash all over the island trails. 

I survived Steve’s visit. He is an obsessive attention seeker, and when he drinks he interrupts people and I wish he wouldn’t do that. I treasure the love of both my brothers. I believe Dwight is coming sometime soon. He’ll be coming on his bicycle. Steve is getting together with Dwight when he is in Vancouver.

One day, he was gone with the car for a long time. On another day, he kept napping, once for two hours. Sometimes we sat together, me on the computer, Steve on the phone. Also, we ate out for every meal. We have learned how to be together without causing me stress. It blows my mind I took the toilet apart and changed the gasket. How butch is that. New trick for this old dog, too.

Yesterday afternoon was all about recovery. I love Steve and I look forward to his visit every year. I feel blessed that he is in my life, but I was very happy to be alone again after he departed. We had a really good time. I shall treasure the memory of our first dinner together on the lawn at The Surf in the sunshine by the sea.

Today the sky is thick with dark clouds. It may be like this until Thursday, with each day possibly including rain showers. No watering! Yay! And this morning, there were no Sheba souvenirs in the house, probably partly because of our late-night walk and lots of markings leaving her urine deficient, and partly because she is getting better. I had reason for optimism when I saw the state of her stool this morning.

Today will be about walking and reading. It’s going to be a nice slow day at Pinecone Park for all of us.
















No comments: