Tuesday, February 4, 2014

I'm Back!

I am back in the world of the living. I re-joined yesterday but I had to go through my first vertical day coughing up dump trucks full of phlegm. Today feels almost normal. What an ordeal—so routine in one way but so dreadful in another. That was my fifth asthma attack requiring hospital intervention in two years. Now I know what to do and when to do it.

The last thing I did with joy before getting sick was to go to the Vancouver Aquarium with my best little buddy,  Hudson (aged nine). We had the best time after a Sunday night sleep over watching the Grammies and then, once I dropped him off with his mother last Monday afternoon, I went straight to the hospital for a cocktail of Azithromycine and Prednisone.

And boy, that Prednisone! It sure works but the side effects are unbelievable.

The Critic Speaks:  I actually liked the latest episode of Downton, much to my relief. My favourite moment involved, of course, Mary. I am so smitten with Michelle Dockery and Mary. Anyway, the scene that resonated for me was when she was in her boudoir and Anna, her maid, is asking for permission to go out for dinner with her man, Bates.

"I'll be back in time…(to assist you with retiring)," says Anna.

"Nonsense," says Mary, "you go and have a good time with Mr. Bates and don't worry about me. I'll be fine." She says something like that to Anna—in effect, saying that she can put herself to bed. But then she dips to allow Anna to put her necklace over her head." I loved the juxtaposition of her action and words. Wonderful!

I could barely follow Sherlock. Prednisone affects cognition. I was grateful for the "behind the scenes" interviews at the end that helped me understand what I had seen. And how absolutely lovely to discover that that was Benedict Cumberbatch's real parents playing the parents of Sherlock and Mycroft. 

 Hudson in a bubble tank at the Aquarium.

 I want a tank like this! But I love my fresh water tank.

Look at the blue spots on this ray.

 I could watch seahorses for hours. They move like angels.

 A spotted ray.

Jellyfish.

Sleeeping Otter.

No comments: