Friday, August 14, 2026

Another Great Day in Paradise

Thursday dawned slightly smoky, but there was golden sunshine all day and I could neither see nor smell the smoke. I did chores in the early morning and then Her Highness and I went for a walk on the Ricki Ave. trail. She sometimes balks at walking this trail, but she took to it with enthusiasm.

When we came home, I watered all the Hydrangeas, just to be safe, and then I wrapped Alex and Ashlee’s wedding present. I was very pleased at what I was able to do using materials left over from my crafting days. Then I fed everyone lunch. 


For the past two days, I’ve enjoyed making croque monsieurs for lunch with the béchamel left over from Beth’s visit. I’m very proud of my croques. I learned how to make them when I lived in Nice I grow and love them and I have so many). 

When I put my croque in the oven, I found the ham on the counter. I’d forgot to put the ham in. So, I made a second piece of toast, put béchamel on it and the ham on, top of that, and I put it all underneath the first toast with topping. I made a deluxe Croque monsieur (two-layered. I loved it.


In the afternoon, we went to Drumbeg to do the perimeter walk. The tide was out, there were a bunch of beautifully coloured kayaks on the beach, people were swimming, tourists were marvelling at the extreme current of the incoming tide where Gabriola comes very close to Valdez. Both islands are long, but Valdez is very long and thin. Together they form a wall that creates an incredible tidal flow between the two islands. I saw that yesterday.

Then we went to the cemetery to steal California poppies. They grow wild all over the cemetery which is fenced. So, I stole five of them and transplanted them to my edible garden for colour. Fingers crossed they survive.

Then we came home for dinner and to watch more episodes of Belgravia. I’d been enjoying it and then, just as happens in many law series, I get lost with all the references of names and things said by whom. But I’m sticking with it; it’s entertaining whimsy.

After watching one episode, I went outside and picked a couple of Italian plums from the tree in the front yard, and I ate ‘em as I walked to the edible garden to eat some tomatoes. Soon, the apples will be ready. I have a bagful from Pete from their garden. They get a large harvest; the have several trees.

The smoke casts and eerie light through the day. It feels as though the sun is setting all day. On the plus side, it’s more comfortable in the sun doing chores.  I’m a born optimist. Environment Canada says it’s going to be cloudy here on Tuesday and Wednesday. To me, that means less evaporation and, therefore, less watering.

Late yesterday afternoon, Linda and Al, and Linda's sister and her sister's husband happened by. I don't know Linda and Al, but I've been waving at them as they passed on the street for years. They stopped to chat and I invited them to see the Butterbur because Linda's sister is seriously knowledgeable about plants. She lives in Alberta, though, where gardening is limited. 

They were blown away by my garden and the Butterbur. We talked together for about forty minutes and I loved every second of our conversation. As they left, I thanked them for stopping and told them that serendipitous passing conversations with neighbours is one of the things I love best about life here.

This morning I shall water and then, late this afternoon, I shall water some things again so that they survive until I am back on Sunday. Pete is watering the strawberries and hydrangeas for me on Saturday afternoon while I’m at the wedding. We’ll also walk with our friends this morning.

Just part of one of my large Fuchsia plants growing in 
containers on my deck. It is abundantly covered in blooms.

This is another one. From the other side it is blazinig red, but this
sife shows the lovely whiie ground cover that covers the container.

My prettiest Fuchsia is a beautiful purple.

The fountain is very busy with thirsty birds.

No comments: