At 7:45 yesterday morning, a tropical downpour drenched our island. The rain was so loud on the roof, I couldn’t hear the radio or little else. I haven’t seen rain like that here since the atmospheric river about four years ago. I was thrilled to see it and know that I didn’t have to water the gardens.
There’s been thunder all morning prior to the arrival of the storm, so I’d gone outside to bring all the chair cushions inside, thank goodness. It was so shocking because last night I’d checked the forecast and today was predicted to be another hot and sunny day. But what a thrill to see the little streams of water dribbling off everything, and to know that I’d have lots of time for reading during the day. At times I could feel vibrations from the thunder. It was incredible.
I don’t think I’ve ever seen lighting in daylight before. It’s so odd to see daylight briefly and suddenly get brighter. The drowning rain lasted eleven minutes and then settled into light rain. What a blessing it was to get so much rainfall. My rain barrels are full to the brim again. I went outside to check on them, and it was glorious to smell the wetness in such warm air, and while I was out there, more thunder had me and the land vibrating. What an amazing morning!
At 10:00, the rain had turned to angel piss, so Her Highness and I went for our morning walk. As we walked. I saw shadows, and by the time we were coming home, the sun was out and most of the sky was blue. I Zoomed briefly with David and then it was lunchtime for the brood.
On the drive home, I stopped to pick up a copy of The Sounder, our local newspaper. I normally wear reading glasses to read the paper, so I put a pair on and found myself struggling to read. I closed my left eye and read easily, then I closed my right eye and determined that something has gone wrong with my left eye. With my glasses on, I must hold the paper at arm’s length to be able to read it. I reckon it’s time for an eye check-up. It’s a sudden change.
I zoomed with Aidan at 14:00, and then Her Highness and I walked the Elder Cedar trail. Soon after returning, we had dinner and not long after finishing eating I Zoomed with Aidan and seven other stutterers and one speech language therapist. We were going over the presentation SPACE is going to use to inform doctors about how to best communicate with dysfluent people. It was a great session.
Then a bit of television before going to bed as I always do now, early. Four o’clock I’m awakened by my feline alarm clock, so early to bed is important.
Today, another day of mild wild fire smoke overhead, I’ll be doing chores much of the day in advance of going to Vancouver on the weekend. Plus, I’ll have reading time because I don’t have to water today, I’ll just be spot watering.















No comments:
Post a Comment