Sunday, October 11, 2026

Di and Bev Arrive

I had several chores to do around the house once the brood was fed and the morning fire had been lit. I vacuumed the guest rooms, washed the guest bathtub, cleaned the stove and it’s all ready to receive Tom Turkey, plus I cleaned the microwave and the cattery. I got everything done that I wanted to do.

I washed a rug and chopped some wood to have at the ready for fires during Di and Beverly’s visit, and I finished with chores (except for some shopping) at 9:30. My back was killing me. I needed a sit down before heading out for our walk.

After I posted on my blog, I took Her Highness for our morning sojourn through the forest and then we went into the village to shop for supplies. And then … and then … I did some watering! We haven’t had any rain for five days and there is no rain in the forecast, so some spot watering was in the cards.

Yesterday morning was out final Saturday morning farmers’ market at the Agi Hall. Another sign of the dark and wet to come. Sigh. We got all the things that we needed in the village, and I got busy using my blower to clean the deck, courtyard and front walk of all the accumulated needles.

At 12:30, I was done with duties. It was time to relax. I kept calling Dianne to learn of her ETA, but I got no answer. However, I reckoned she would arrive at around 14:00, but she and Beverly didn’t get here until 15:00. They’d had a very long day of travel, so we got them unloaded and settled into their room. I’d bought some gorgeous smelling lilies, and I had several blooms on a single stalk in each room. I was thrilled when Dianne opened her door and she exalted in the fragrance of the flowers.

We called The Surf to reserve for dinner because Beverely was craving fish and chips, but they were booked solid. They suggested we come shortly before five, and they’d try to fit us in. We did, and they did. We all enjoyed a delicious meal and then came home for cake (it is delicious with the orange cream) and a movie.

I didn’t make it through the movie. I was exhausted, so I was in bed at 21:00, and quickly went to sleep.

•

It’s another day of clear sky, but it was a chilly 9° when I rose at 4:30. I sorted the living room and lit a nice roaring morning fire. We’ll improvise through the day, but I know Bev and Di will be going to visit some of the artist studios that are open. Most of the island artists open their studios on Thanksgiving weekend, and lots of tourists come to visit the island and take in the Studio Tour. In this gorgeous Fall weather, the island is crawling with bicyclists. 

It’s going to be a great day, and tomorrow we cook and feast.










No comments: