Saturday, October 10, 2026

Summer in October

 

Beth told me about Frank and Percy. It appears that tous les grands are in this film except Judy Dench. And it looks like delicious fun for this old gay man who wants nothing whatsoever to do with partnering.

•

Friday began with a visit to Life Labs. They have precious few times available each day, so I leave here at 7:20 to line up in hopes of getting a time. I did. I had to wait until 9:15 to give blood. And then I found out that there were some shots that cannot be done on Friday, so I must return. I also got a booking for a flue and Covid shot in mid-October in Cedar. I must take the ferry and go all the way to Cedar to get shots that I usually get here on Gabe.

Then we came home and I made the frosting and frosted the cake. It’s a big cake, and I’m really looking forward to tasting it. I have never done what I did this time to a chocolate cake I often bake and that everyone loves. This time, I piped a sugary marshmallow frosting heavily infused with orange zest onto each layer and then I covered the piped flavouring with a thick layer of chocolate butter cream frosting.

As soon as I was done, I fed everyone and then, on another stunning sunny day, Sheba and I went to Elder Cedar to walk. Oh, the beauty of it all, and oh how good I felt having finished the cake and with the house ready for guests. It was a beautiful walk, full of wonderful fragrances and a soundtrack of Raven tones.

I wish that you could hear our Ravens. They make single note tones that are very loud and really beautiful. They are short bursts of sound, very unlike their other calls. I’m often asked by visitors what the sound is.

When we came home, I tried to print something and found that my printer is no longer compatible with the Mac operating system. It’s always something. I have such a love/hate relationship with technology. I had to buy a new printer, but the good news was that they are not very expensive.

Then I tried to access my bank account to pay my VISA bill, but I could not get in. I called Vancity and I had to answer 5,000 of their security questions before they would let me ask my question. This is the bank that I love but also the bank that flagged my account as possibly fraudulent due to my stutter.

Finally, at 15:00, I was done with my self-assigned duties. I left vacuuming and making up the guest beds until today. Instead, I cleaned some windows. Now that the sun is so low on the horizon and another tree has been downed in my backyard, sunlight blazes into the house and shows just how dirty some windows are.

And then I was in the spa. Heaven!

And so, it begins. Di and Beverly arrive at some point today. Jane has decided not to come, so we’ll be three celebrating Thanksgiving together at Pinecone Park. There’ll be chatting, there’ll be cooking and eating, and there’ll be movies on my grand 55-incher. 
















No comments: