Thursday, January 25, 2024

An Asshole Calls

The extraordinary (and horny) Tragopan temminicki pheasant. 

I was high all day Wednesday because CAYA was extremely grateful for the revised instruction sheets that I did for them. I can’t fix myself, but I can do things to make things easier for other people who are using the same devices as me. It’s the same with STAMMA. My work with them is teaching them about late-onset stutterers (LOSs). It’s a new category of client for them; an email from me helped them decide to include LOSs in their mandate. They have embraced the challenge, and now we’re going to ramp up our efforts to spread word of our group to advocacy groups serving people with various diseases that rob people of speech (ALS, Parkinson’s, brain injuries, etc.).

Tuesday was foggy all day, but there was no rain, and it was quite mild. When we went for our afternoon romp in Rollo Park, the fog thinned, then disappeared, and the sun came out We were welcomed by 10 dogs and their masters in the park. The sunshine was a magnet, getting people outdoors. Wednesday morning, we had a downpour, and so our walk was short and much of the day was spent reading and doing domestic chores. But I felt great all day, still high from the thrill of practical design and writing work for CAYA.

The phone rang. That very rarely happens at Pinecone Park. All my friends know not to call, but to write. I ran to answer it. It was some guy from Roger’s calling. He introduced himself and asked, “How are you today?” I couldn’t answer. All I could do was make short sounds.

“Hello. Are you there Chris?”  

“Mm. Uh. Mm. Mm. Mm,” etcetera.

With great effort, I say, “No.” Then, a few beats later, “Talk.” Then I repeat “No. Talk.”

“Okay then,” he says, “How about I call you back tomorrow?”

“No….. No. Talk. Me.”

“Okay, how about I give you my number and you call me.”

I was so pissed. He was not catching on at all that I have a disability. All he’s focused on is his commission or his quota or whatever. His needs made him deaf to my situation.

Today: Another day like every other. Domestic chores, dog walks and reading. This is my life.
















No comments: