Monday, January 29, 2024

No Atmospheric River

saturday

We were warmed an atmospheric river was on its way, but t was lovely and warm on Saturday, but the rain was heavy in the morning—dense, like a tropical rainstorm. Our morning walk was short—very short, as Her Highness hates being wet. The thick dark clouds kept the day dark. It was a day to remain indoors.

I went into the village for electrical supplies, I had one lamp and one switch to repair. I hated Industrial Arts in junior high school, but what I learned about electricity and electrical wiring has served me very well all my life.

When I got home, the rain had stopped and the clouds were brighter, so HH and I went for a long walk. I’ve never met so many people on a trail before. Between us there were four dogs. I learned from them, that ‘the river’ is due today and it’s two storms. Five days of rain. The upside is the warm Pacific air.

My neighbours, Dave and Ursula, got their construction permit. Finally. They’re going to start building their yurt in March. I’m thrilled for them. And for me. They are lovely neighbours. I’ve invited them for dinner next week to celebrate.

In the restaurant Friday night, my arms were shaking while I talked. If I stopped them, I couldn’t get sound out at all. My friends don’t care, but I do. I came here, in part, to escape pressure, I was feeling shortly after the onset of FND, to get better. Two friends shamed me for believing my diagnosis, claiming it was within my power to get my shit together and stop feeling like a victim. They walked out of my life. Steve, my beloved ex, was initially doubtful. 

Here, everyone who knows me, or about me, has only known me was non-verbal and prone to seizures. But I’ve been pretty seizure free of late. Everyone accepts me.

I’m very excited about Tuesday and Wednesday. Tuesday morning, I see Dr. Shoja, and I have a lot to talk about, and then HH and I got to Nanaimo to shop, and then to pick up Dwight when he finishes work. He’ll come back here, with me, and we’ll pick up pizzas on the way home to eat. He’ll go home on Wednesday, so we’ll have one day together. I’m showing him where my will is and other things he should know.

sunday

Sunday was slow. There was still no atmospheric river. It didn’t rain all day on Sunday; we’d expected a total deluge. I Zoomed at 10:00 with my BC stuttering group. They are a great bunch and I really enjoy our monthly session together. The remainder of the day involved reading, snacking (it was Sunday, after all, my day) and walking with Her Highness.

It was a lovely quiet day and evening by the fire, and with my precious pets. 

monday

When I woke up this morning at 5:30, it was 11° outside and so I was in no hurry to light the fire. It felt cozy warm in the house. Once the fire was lit, I went back to bed for some more ZZZZs. Today will be full of nothing to do, but Steve is in for a big day today. He’s been called to a meeting at 10:00 am, and he’s concerned about its purpose. He fears a transfer, being laid off or that his boss whom he likes a lot, is going. 















No comments: