Wednesday, January 17, 2024

MAJOR Snow

Monday night, the sunset made the wispy clouds in the sky turn a very bright pink, and pink light turned the snow-covered ground into a pastel landscape of unparalleled beauty. It was a lovely end to a wonderful leisurely day. I love having nothing to do. I love being able to do whatever I want, whenever I want.

What I wanted to do yesterday were the same things I do every day: read, walk HH and eat. Our afternoon walk was a stunner. It was so beautiful in the late afternoon sunshine. The shadows were long, there were a bazillion diamonds on the snow, and it was silent as we walked. It as a brilliant walk. The rest of the day and evening was entirely uneventful.

This morning it is snowing, and the snow is piling up. It snowed through much of the night, so all the schools are closed and all daytime events on the island are cancelled. Even the bus is cancelled. But it is only -1°, and that is the warmest morning we’ve had since the onset of the cold weather about a week ago. It’s predicted to snow day and night today and tomorrow. Rain is due on Friday. I can hardly wait.

I showered and then dressed for a tour of the garden to come to the aid of any plants struggling under the weight of the snow. I came to the aid of my Rhodo first. I love my glorious red Rhodo, and it felt wonderful to be out tending to her. The snow is roughly 16-18 cms already, and it if snows all day, tonight, tomorrow and tomorrow night, as is predicted, we are going to be snowed in until Friday. 

The snow is thundering down. It’s as dense as I’ve ever seen it snow here. I have no desire to walk HH in it, nor do I want to drive. It’s going to be a long slow lovely day. Sheba and I will be housebound. Today may be a trying day for Sheba, but the cats and I are looking forward to being by the fire all day.
















No comments: