Friday, April 19, 2024

Pure Joy

What a fabulous, wonderful day of work I had yesterday, and it was done in spectacular Spring weather. I worked in shorts and a t-shirt in the afternoon. It was 16°!

When I went out to work in the morning, the fountain came on at 9:00. It is on a timer; at 9:00 suddenly there was the sound of tinkling water, and all the hummingbirds came in for a drink. They gathered around the top where they land to bathe and drink. 

My walk with Sheba was short because I wanted to keep working and because neighbour Ron let me know he’d be walking her mid-day. I was so stoked to be working. Normally at this time of year, I’d be stacking and chopping wood, but I chose to focus on the yard and gardens first, so that the sanctuary can be restored and will be a lovely place of healing during the dreadfully tiring work of stacking next Winter’s wood.

Something has changed in me. I found yard and garden work onerous in the past. All the bending and toting was a drag, but not this year. I am loving every second I am out there, and I reckon I love it so much because the gardens look so rich lush and full this year. Six years of work is really paying off! My yard and gardens are a wonderful source of pleasure to me now.

I worked on weed eating the yard and cleaning up all the branches and cones. It’s wonderful work because the yard is revealed with a low, lush green carpet (of mostly weeds). From the courtyard, where most people gather, the yard looks wonderful. The backyard is large; there are two smaller expanses of raw surface, and one quite large one. In the morning, I finished the two smaller sections, after lunch I did the large one while Ron walked Her Highness.

Once my yard work was done, and Her Highness was back, we went into the village to buy another current bush, a large container for it, a rhodo and some soil. And then I went to Eoin and François’ place for more rocks. Once back home, I got back to work in the garden for a bit before making dinner. 

Today, I’m thrilled to be back working in the yard. It’s another beauty of a day and I don’t have the heavy demands of yesterday. I’m going to tidy up one garden today. Maybe I’ll get two done, but I’ll quit early to make the meringue disks I need for the cake I’m making tomorrow.
















No comments: