I rose early, of course, the Fred chorus was loud and accompanied by his heavy steps on my stomach as he paraded on the bed. I loaded laundry into the washer so that there was no competition for water when I watered the plants and beds that needed a good drink before Her Highness and I left for Chemainus for my bone density test.
I only had to do a little watering because everywhere I looked, the beds were still plenty wet from my watering on Tuesday. Hallelujah! I had plenty of time to water at Pete and Ali’s because they are away, to walk Her Highness, and to settle on a menu for Friday night’s dinner with Bonnie and Sue before leaving for our Chemainus adventure. The ice packs had lots of time to freeze before our departure; I was prepared for shopping on the way to Chemainus. I had a basket that is lined to function as a cooler; the frozen gel packs would keep some of the things I planned to buy cool for the ride home.
Every time I must leave my beloved isle, it feels like I am off to climb Everest. I feel safe everywhere I go on Gabriola, but once I leave, particularly since it always means going north or south on a highway, I become very anxious. It’s such a drag. But we departed on the 11:15 ferry with enthusiasm because sushi awaited me on arrival.
We caught the 11:15 ferry. It was slightly late, but it didn’t matter because we were leaving early enough to accommodate any delays along the way. It remained overcast; I was happy to know that my gardens wouldn’t be burning under the hot sun while I was away. When we disembarked, we went directly to thrifty foods so that I could do my shopping for the Friday night dinner and get sushi for lunch. Yum!
Once all the groceries were loaded into the car-the cold things in the cooler-we headed for Chemainus on the highway. I arrived in time to take Sheba for a quick walkabout before leaving her in the car. Thankfully, it was not a hot day. I left her with water and a treat; all the windows were open. But I needn’t have worried because I was taken in for my scan the moment I arrived.
Then it was back to the highway, speeding to the Gabriola ferry terminal. When I got there, we had a ten-minute wait and then we were on the ferry. We were home at 15:20 and my cooler had successfully kept my groceries needing refrigeration nice and cold. I packed everything away, and then Her Highness and I went for our afternoon walk. The day ended with me in the spa before dinner.
Today will be a busy, but enjoyable, day. First, I must do a thorough watering and then I will be making a peach galette, followed by a garlic and spinach tart that is like a quiche. They are for my dinner tomorrow night with Bonnie and Sue, new friends who are moving to Gabriola.














No comments:
Post a Comment