Saturday, December 12, 2015

Baking / Birthing

Today has been a great day! I embraced the dark and stormy day. I turn up the heat, turned up the music, turned on my fabulous fake electric fireplace and put a Tourtière in the oven for dinner. Then I settled into a slow enjoyable bake—I am making cookies to gift at Christmas and to use, in a photograph, as my Christmas e-card.

Today involved making ideal batter that will not be too sweet, will hold its shape and that will bake to a nice snap. I am making two batches: Sugar cookie and gingerbread. Tomorrow I will make various colours of Royal Icing with which to decorate all but those that I consume.
I saw something rather amazing today, too.

My (60-gallon) aquarium lights are on a timer but I can override the timer and I did that this morning. I turned them on about an hour early and when the lights came on I saw immediately that my largest and oldest female guppy, a serious breeder, was in labour.

I sat down and I watched and it only took about 5 minutes for me to see for the very first time in my life, birth. It is truly amazing. I love (nearly) all forms of life. My little wet world is a source of great joy and today was an extraordinary reward for hours of dedication to its maintenance and enrichment.

To celebrate:

















Sophia Loren. My birth mother co-starred in a
movie with Sophia and Marcello Mastroianni.

No comments: