Friday, May 10, 2024

Bronwyn Answers!

Bronwyn finally answered my email. I’m very happy and relieved. It means she can tidy up my beds and I can focus on the wood for next Winter. And more good news: I. heard from the BC Ministry of Finance, confirming my registration for the Fuel Tax Refund Program for Persons with Disabilities

Yesterday was a thoroughly wonderful day. Even watering the gardens was a joy because it was 22° by noon and watering is so easy compared to sawing and stacking. I began with the backyard. It takes me about 45 minutes to do just the backyard beds, and then I was able to plant some Dill in the herb garden. My essentials are Thyme, Mint, Cilantro, Chives, Dill and Oregano, and I’ve been searching for a Dill starter for weeks. I have other herbs, but they are less in demand.

Mid-day, I did something I love to do—rather, I tried to. I got out my recliner chair, set it up in the sunshine and got comfortable, but it was too hot to stay in the sun. I came back inside and wrote to the Mid Island Co-op from whom I buy all my gas. I asked for a summary of my gas purchases for the past 4 years. I am hoping their summary will suffice to get a refund on my past 4 years of gasoline. I’m eligible for the refunds, but I don’t have the actual receipts and without them, I can’t get a refund.

Next, I wrote a letter to Coast Capital where I get my insurance, and then I went into the village and their offices to use it to get refunds on my annual insurance underway. With their help, the Ministry will refund 25% of my annual insurance for the past four years. And once that was done, her Highness and I went for our afternoon walk. I must confess that this mild heat did not bring the joy that I expected. I’ve been waiting for warm weather forever, but now that it’s here, I’m wanting to cool down.  The heat is tiring, and I sweat, but I know I’ll get used to the heat and come to love it.

I came home and quickly got into the spa; then I came in to read a little. I haven’t read much since the onset of good weather. Then I ordered 3 cords of wood, had dinner, watched some TV and then went to bed early. All in all, it was a very lovely day. And I shall use the excuse of impending wood stacking to rest until it arrives on Monday morning.

I’m not dreading the stacking. I’ve miraculously achieved some kind of Zen approach to hard physical labour. I do it at the pace that is comfortable. There is no hurry. It’s the same with the watering, and a bit like walking with Sheba. In all these physical activities, the mind can go wherever it wants while the body continues to move in autopilot.   

My garden continues to impress me and to bring me pride and joy. It’s exploding with green, and soon cascading yellow waterfalls of Laburnum blossoms will be the focus of the garden. I am thrilled with the natural surface of the land. Last night I when I was reading on the chaise beside the big living room window, I put my book down and watched the Robins catching their worms, and the Bees on the carpet of tiny wildflowers in the front yard. It’s much, much more interesting than a lawn, and as beautiful.

I was prepared to go to fitness this morning, but I can’t go on Monday, so I’m going to wait until next Friday to resume my torture routine. I’ve many chores to do at Pinecone Park. I’ve to clear space for the incoming wood in the shed, and I’ve watering to do.


No comments: