Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Graphic / Neurology / Paper Artistry


I love writing so I love words and letters. I also love drawing and doing graphic art. In my first formal art class we could do anything we wanted as a way for our teacher to get to know us, and I drew the word "perspective" in perspective…. When I considered the words we use for us and our genders, I made the graphic above. It put things in an interesting perspective.
My only plan for Monday was to see my GP at 9:45. It feels like visiting a friend when I see Art’s friendly face. If he treats everyone as he treats me, he is a saint. I have minor problems with my arms and hands. I had a discectomy on the disc between my fifth and sixth cervical vertebrae that corrected similar problems in 1988.

I went in for “sleeping pills” (Ativan) for the odd night pain prevents me from sleeping and I wanted advice about whether or not my issues are compression based and if, therefore, I should not be wearing a backpack.

I had an X-ray right after my appointment and that is why I am writing this post. The X-ray technician was so incredibly warm, generous and professional I felt obligated to say something. So I asked him: “Are you this exceptionally warm and professional and reassuring with everyone every day?”

He said he tries to be, so I told him how wonderfully reassuring it was to be in his care and I said I hoped it endured throughout his career because he will earn everyone’s gratitude, respect and affection. In other words,” I said, “You’ll have a great life.” He was clearly pleased and he shook my hand.

I get a CT scan next; Art is concerned because I have lost my reflex. I told him I did not necessarily want a CT scan because I am fine with the way things are. Although use of my arm is compromised, I don’t care because I am right handed and the pain is mild. But he wants to do the CT scan and “see what’s going on.” Stay tuned.

After all that, I went for a walk. I meandered for four hours and really enjoyed my walk today. As hour three was winding down, the sun came out so I could not stop.
Bored Panda (a blog I follow for fun) posted an article today about Russian artist Asya Kozina who has been making paper into art/fashion (and winning renown for her impressive Mongolian wedding costumes). She explains her motivation thus:

“Historical wigs always fascinated me, especially the baroque era,” Kozina says. “This is art for art’s sake; aesthetics for aesthetics; no practical sense. But they are beautiful. In this case, paper helps to highlight the main form and not to be obsessed with unnecessary details.”

I hate her. Her creations make mine look pretty plain, but mine were worn in a play for two weeks. Hers' would require some adaptations to be practical. Still, I am awed by her work.









No comments: