Sunday, July 14, 2024

A Kill @ Pinecone Park

Saturday morning, I got started on domestic duties early. I started with the shed. I got a whole whack of things together and boxed to take to GIRO, our recycling centre. I had bags and bags of recycling, plus many things to donate to the GIRO store. And I swept it free of everything unwanted on the floor.

Then it was time to walk Her Highness before it got hot, and then we went to GIRO to drop everything off, and then into the village for groceries. And when I got home, I immediately got back to work. First, I watered. I discovered two large piles of crap that I forgot to tote to the dump in my forest land, so I did that toting and then I spent my usual 2 hours watering before I could get back to cleaning up the shed. 

It was a gorgeous sunny day kept comfortable by a very refreshing cool breeze. Still, it waws 31° by 2:30, even with the breeze. I value these wonderful solitary days wherein I can do light garden and yard work. I wish that you could see all that is going on around my fountain. There are birds all over it and others fill the branches of my tree and bushes that are close by. The birds are a magnificent part of my deep love for life in Pinecone Park.

I have a bench on the small deck that is between the shed and the trellis. It is an ideal spot for bird watching. If I sit there and remain still, the birds ignore me to take their drinks and baths. Sometimes they perch mere inches from me, and I freeze so as not to startle them. It is a privilege to be so close to them. Yesterday I watched a mother Evening Grosbeak teach her fledgling how to drink from the fountain water.

After my rest, I decided to address the Deer fence around the Plumb tree. It felt good to get that done as the Deer eat all they can from branches that grow through the fence or very close to it. But what an ugly job I’ve done. It is temporary. I’ll create a nicer fence when the weather is cooler, but for now, it’s serviceable.

Horrid news: A Pileated Woodpecker was feeding at my feeding station when suddenly a Cooper’s Hawk swooped in the got him. I felt responsible and totally gutted. But I suppose that’s Mother Nature for you. It was balanced by lovely news

The lovely news: For the second time in the past week, I came upon a Deer sleeping in one of my woodsheds. I don’t know if it was the same Deer both times, but I suspect it is, and it thrills me. 

I quit working at 4:00. It had been a long day, but I never felt any problems with my heart all day except for one moment in the morning when I was rushing to get things into the car for GIRO. I got a lot done yesterday. It feels so good to be on top of things. The house is tidy, and the yard and gardens are all looking good except for the Boxwood that Dan and Steve gave me. The Boxwood is mostly dead. Someday soon, I will trim or throw out some of it.

St 4:30, I got an email. Nancy and Kris were meeting at the Firetruck at the South End. The Firetruck is a food truck. The were leaving at 5:00 and they live in the South End, so I showered quickly, dressed, and Sheba and I went off to dinner on the lawn.

We sat at a picnic table with a large red umbrella to shield us from the hot sun, and we at and talked as the sun eased into that golden glow period that is so, so beautiful. That’s when I left to drive home, and let me tell you, driving home through forest as golden beams of light shine through the trees is to-doe-for beautiful. And the warm air brushes on my face as I drive with all the windows all the way down. The comes a drive through farmland where all the tall grass had turned brown, and it looks beautiful because of the light and because it’s still tall and proud. The farmers’ fields glowed in the magical light. It was beautiful. I love it here. It is so incredibly beautiful. I love rural life, so all the symbols of farming really make me feel good. I also love living on an island. The sea serves as a moat.
















No comments: