Tuesday, July 9, 2024

HEAT!🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥

sunday

We went for an early morning walk together on Sunday, Her Highness and I, and when we got home, I wanted to have dinner and go to bed. The heat makes all exertion exhausting, but I had work to do, so I had a very short lie down and then an early lunch before getting into work mode on Sunday, AKA My Day, when should and musts shouldn’t exist.  But the heat trumps all my rules. It demands my attention to the garden beds.

All the remaining plants that were still in their pots are now in the ground. I did that, at least, on Sunday. And I cleaned the pump and hoses of the fountain thoroughly, and changed the water so that now it is running properly and attracting birds to it, my baths and the feeding stations. I love how bird friendly Pinecone Park has become.

I threw some of the Boxwood plants over the fence—the once that did not survive the upheaval and replanting. And I watered everything until the ground was soaking wet and quit at 3:00 to have a cool tub and to chill inside my wonderfully cool and welcoming home. And the evening was spent in stillness on the chaise.

monday

Sheba and I walked with our friends at 9:00 on a nice cool trail, and then I came home to hang up a load of laundry I’d put in the washer. And then I started watering the beds because I could see thirst everywhere regardless of all the watering I’d done on Sunday.

The nicest part of the day was going next door to Colleen’s to fetch a baster that her dog, Sosa, had stolen from my porch, and we had a lovely chat together, and then Pete arrived for a visit, so we, too, had a long chat and a walkabout in the garden. I love Pete. We both love gardening, and he is the most generous and happy fellow imaginable.

While walking with Pete I noticed how parched the edible garden beds were, even though I had given them a thorough soaking Sunday early evening. So, as soon as Pete left, I fed the brood and then did more watering to get the plans through the hot afternoon. 

At 2:00, I had my third nap of the day. I happened to search for the side effects of Clonazepam, and fatigue is the dominant effect. Perhaps that is why I am constantly wanting to rest. Mind you, everyone is saying that the heat exhausts them, so I might just be feeling heat fatigue. 

I got some things done, but mostly I watered. Today, besides watering, I want to begin the process of weed whacking, raking and toting the detritus of the backyard to the heap. It’s nice easy work and I am visible to no one except when I do the part that Colleen, next door, can see. My only other remaining tasks are to set one last plant into the ground and move two others.

Then comes chopping and sawing wood, with limits. Whooppeee. I love living in Pinecone Park.

Can you see them? Click to enlarge. There are scores of Digitalis
plants growing here.

Ocean Spray behind a mossy rock.

All was green a mere week ago, now everywhere
has that parched Summer look.

The beautiful and heavenly scented Rose that Leslie
gave me.






No comments: