Saturday, July 13, 2024

Yard Work Finished (for now)

We walked in the cool of the morning, and then I came home to water all the thirsty beds. Some beds, thankfully, are slower to dry out because they are in the shade. I took me an hour and a half to do the watering, and then I started on the last part of the yard needing raking and toting of all the detritus. I was smart. I saved the easiest part for last.

Once everything was raked, it was time to feed the brood and to have a nap. Then I went back to work toting the last of the crap to the dump. It feels very, very good to be on top of everything. All the flora is thriving (except for the natural ground cover which all dies in the heat. I don’t water the grounds. And everything is tidy. Once the toting was done, and after another rest, I began fertilizing everywhere—particularly in the edible garden. I’m a good dad to my botanical babies.

When I’d done enough fertilizing to feel satisfied, I drained some of my hot tub and refilled it with cold water. Now the spa is more refreshing. I emerged from a lovely relaxing spa at 3:00 and returned to working after that, but briefly. My front garden bed fries in the sunshine, so it needed a dousing. And then I was done, all done for the day! I earned an early retirement yesterday. The past few days have seen me accomplish quite a bit of yard work, and I am thrilled that Dianne, Paula and Steve will see Pinecone Park looking cared for. And oh, the chaise! How great if felt to sink into comfort in my favourite place.

The evening walkabout was uplifting, even as the surface of the yard dries to dust and greens turn gold and brown. The gardens look good. They look healthy and lush and that’s miraculous when you consider the ambient temperature. It was 30° during my walkabout last night. And to end my night on a high, I Zoomed with Beth.

Today I focus on the house and shed. The gardens and yard have had my attention 100% of my time for the past many days, so today I turn inward. It will be cool and comfortable working in the house and the shed today. All will be tidy for Dianne’s visit commencing on Monday. I shall be taking things slow and easy. I’ll of course do some watering, but I look forward to accomplishing a zillion small tasks today, that I’ve been wanting to do for ages.
















No comments: