Saturday, July 20, 2024

I Water. I Water.

I’m thrilled to find such contentment doing the endless watering that the plants and beds at Pinecone Park require. I have found the Zen in watering. I mentally make notes as I water of things I want Bronwyn to do when next she comes. That will likely not be until September when she comes to spread compost and do some pruning.

It was slightly more comfortable yesterday than it has been for quite a while. The early afternoon temperature was only 26° and there was a bit of a breeze. By 2:00, I’d had only one nap, whereas on Thursday, I’d had four. And Sheba seemed more tolerant of the heat yesterday. She willingly walked in the morning on a nice cool trail that has no hills.

I water all the backyard beds in the morning, then I have lunch and feed the brood, then I water the edible garden beds. I chill after all that is done until late afternoon when the sun is off the front bed, then I water everything in the front yard. Then all is done, and I have the evening to rest on the chaise. This is my daily pattern during a hot spell.

My friend Doug has asked to come for a visit at the end of the month. He’s bringing his granddaughter, and they’ll stay just one night. I haven’t seen Doug in a few years so it should be fun getting caught up together.

Today will be another hot day. More watering and walks on cool trails are our ambitions for today. With luck, I will feel up to doing some simple yard projects as well. I have to fight to muster the drive and energy to do much lately, but today feels slightly cooler, so perhaps I shall get some things done. 

It’s 8:30 as I type this last paragraph. I shall soon leave here with Her Highness to enjoy a forest walk in the cool of the morning, Our walk was wonderful, but early on I thought to go back because I was so dramatically out of breath. Here are some photos:


We chose a seldom used trail that is largely in shade for
our walk. Because its an unpopular trail, it is overgrown.

Where it stays cool in the shade, it stays damp,
and so the Ferns thrive and squeeze the trail.

Our first meadow of the walk. It's still green and gorgeous.

The colour of Summer is brown.

This shows you the sandstone base of our island. The soft stone
was a large part of the grounds of Pinecone Park before I bought
trucks full of soil for my gardens and yard.

The bright red leaves of Oregon Grape delight my eye.

No comments: