Monday, August 28, 2023

Julien and Marlane Visit

I was out watering early this morning and it was really warm. Yesterday was a really hot day. By noon it was 32°!

My day began, of course, with watering, but yesterday, watering did not challenge me. It was wonderful to be outside on a quiet Sunday morning in total silence, save for birdsong and my fountain trinkling, and feeding all my beloved rooted friends. Now, when I look at all the work that needs to be done, I just let it go because Bronwyn is coming to tackle it all.

At 10:00, I Zoomed with my BC Stuttering Group. They all have become great friends over the years of our monthly meetings. I thoroughly enjoy our sessions. I have a big ol’ man crush on one of us, Irfan. He is so handsome, warm and friendly. 

It was lunchtime when we were done, and then it was time to go to the ferry terminal to pick up Julien and Marlane. I left poor Sheba at home. She was in very poor shape. She has a very sore foot and I guess pain is hobbling her. I urged her to come outside at noon because she’s been in the house since 5:30 Saturday. She peed and then collapsed. Her legs just gave out and it broke my heart.

I was very happy to get back home and with her once I’d picked up Julien and Marlane. It was such a beautiful afternoon for them to be here. When I picked them up, and after we exchanged greetings, I asked them what they wanted to do about dinner: Go to The Surf, get pizza from Woodfire, or eat at home. They offered to cook dinner. YAY! SO, we stopped at Nestor’s on the way home to get food. 

At 4:00, they took the car to go swimming at Sandwell. I stayed home to chill, and when they came back, they made dinner. It was so, so nice to have dinner made for me and it was absolutely delicious. Marlane put a lot of dill into the smoked salmon fettuccini, and it was incredibly good. I have never done that before but will again for certain. Yum! And they gifted me with some old un-pasteurized cheese. It was the best cheese I’ve ever had.

And then we talked until 11:00 and they I invited them outside because I could hear my friendly Barred Owl outside. She called out often and my friends were thilled to hear her. Plus, we saw a satellite overhead and they loved the clarity of the stars overhead. But what really amazed everyone was that the water coming out of my tap is so warm. After a great time together, we all went to bed happy.

She spent the entire day yesterday, and all night, in bed. This has never ever happened in past bouts of foot problems. She has 3 feet in peril. But this morning, I washed all Sheba’s feet with Polysporin and then I lifted her off the bed and she followed me outside, doing quite well after initial hesitations. She walked out to the boulevard and went to the bathroom. It filled me with hope and happiness to see some progress.

I’ll be lifting her into the car and onto the bed in the back so that she can come with me to my physio appointment. And when we come home, the weather is predicted to change and we’ll both spend the next few days gently together.

Tonight, with luck, rain!

No comments: