Wednesday, August 23, 2023

Comfortably Alone at Home

Tuesday continued the cool (for Summer) spell of weather, but the wind is over after a relentless week of it. And I was feeling mighty good because my sciatica is gone, and Bronwyn, the gardener, and I have sorted out a gardening plan. She will get started on Aug. 31. 

I had errands to do in the morning, and then I started watering all the gardens. I watered on and off all day. It felt very good to be back in my regular routine, although I missed Steve’s company. Ron too Sheba for an afternoon walk. Her foot is healing well. And I had a lovely long luxurious spa. 

François made us homemade ice cream sandwiches for our big gay dinner together, and there were 2 left over. I thanked him for the 2 extra and put them into zip bags in the freezer. Well, yesterday afternoon I went to fetch them to gift them to Ali and Pete, and only one was left. It was half there, melted and disfigured and full of teeth marks.

I also won a big bottle of root beer at our neighbourhood block party, and I intended to also gift it to Ali and Pete. It, however, is gone, so I texted Steve to ask where it was, and he replied that he had taken it to Victoria. He gifted it to Don and Fernando. Sigh.

Last night, I watched Room With a View. I loved the movie when I first saw it, and it was just as enjoyable to watch again. And oh my God, a very young Helen Bonham Carter. What a beauty! And Julian Sands, Rupert Graves, Judi Dench, Maggie Smith, and so many more, all glorious in their younger years. Steve and I watched Enchanted April. It, too, was a wonderful film to re-watch. It is probably my favourite film of all time.

Today, Ali and Pete are coming for tea in the afternoon, so I’m going into the village for some nice biscuits for us to have, but first I’ll take the cripple for a short walk. We may have showers today. It'c cloudy this morning, but the heat returns tomorrow for another visit.















No comments: