Wednesday, June 21, 2023

The Deck Project End is Close

Pete arrived just before 10:00 yesterday. I was working on the new footpath when he arrived, and he was amazed by all I’d done in his absence. He liked my new footpath and he marveled at the tidiness of the shed. I appreciated his enthusiasm for my work. And then, beginning at 11:00, the sky brightened, and it became a joy to be outside—Pete on the stairs and me on the path.

I went into the village for more soil so that I could finish laying all the pavers that I had. Now, all the pavers that I bought are laid. I must wait for the building company to get more of them in stock to finish the footpath, but I am close to done!

While Pete continued to work on reconstructing the steps, I moved onto preparing the material that we’ll use to screen the foundation. It will go up where we have removed stairs, and then we’ll put a lath trellis on top of it to give a finished surface to the exposed foundations. By 3:00, as usual, I was beat, so I went into the village for some groceries.

We decided to call it a day at 6:30. Pete went home, and I came in for dinner. Once I’d eaten, I was overcome with deep fatigue. I struggled to stay awake and finally went to bed at 9:00 (when it was still full daylight outside). And I slept until 7:00 this morning. I slept for 10 hours. That’s how tired I am from all this working. I sleep very, very well.

Today, Pete and I will finish the stairs, and when I am not helping him, I’ll start the staining. Ali is coming tomorrow to stain with me. This massive project is almost done! And whereas I am all about the visual impact of the clean, wonderful deck, Pete thinks the best thing he has done for me is to reinforce the supports of the hot tub. Pete saved my bacon!

 















No comments: