Saturday, February 3, 2024

Mexico Memories

I walked Sheba early so that I could leave her at home when I went to the exercise class that began at 9:30 in the community hall. I got there in time to register and joined the class of about 25 women, and 2 men. 

The class was demanding. When it came time to do jumping jacks, I was shocked and horribly disappointed to feel like I was going to fall apart. I am in dreadful shape. The jumping practically killed me. But I did sense some slight improvement as the class wore on. The instructor sets a challenging pace; or so it seemed to me in my first class. I could barely keep up at times, but with the arm strength exercises, it was a breeze.

Three quarters of the way through the class, I had a seizure, and it disrupted the class as the teacher and others worried about my condition. But Nancy was there to explain that I would be fine. I sat out the rest of the class and left for home before the class was over. I was a walking zombie when I got home, and I had a lot of work to do in advance of David and Ursula’s arrival for dinner. 

As I got close to finishing the main dish at 2:00 pm, I was already looking forward to saying goodbye to my guests and going to bed. I was beat from the class. It took all I had to keep moving to get the place clean and tidy and all the food preparation done. I thanked God for the semi-clear skies and absence of rain, and I slid into the spa for a pick-me-up in the middle of the afternoon. 

Then I took Her Highness to the park and came home for a bit of rest before the arrival of my guests. They came nice and early (5:15). We had a great time, and they left at 8:30. I went directly to bed and slept soundly until an astounding 6:30! 

I can barely walk today. My legs are so incredibly sore from the exercise, but it is a good pain. I may not go back on Monday if I am still this sore, but I plan to go back regularly twice a week. Once I build up some strength, it won’t be so painful the next day. I got a really lovely email from the instructor, asking if I was doing okay and urging me to come back if I so desire. There are 8 nurses in the class.

Today is gorgeous. Our morning walk was slow but heavenly. I will be on the couch all day reading. I have great leftovers to eat today, so I needn’t venture into the village. Hooray!

I was thrilled to receive these photos from Gilbert. They are souvenirs from a trip we took together in 1973, the first year I was at the Arts Club. We struck a show, starting at 11:00, and I finished work at about 1:30, then Gil, Burke, Micke, Michael and I took off in my van for Mexico. It was a trip I'll never forget.


Gil, Michael (inside the van), Burke, moi and Mike. Mike and I were roommates
and he later came to stay with me for quite a while in Nice.


The 5 of us slept in the van!! I can't believe that.

Mike

Mike's Hollywood shot. These are Gil's photos.

Moi, avec des cheveaux.

No comments: