Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Apple Cake


I have become so turned on to baking by the British Baking Show.

I can’t recall having ever made a North American style cake from scratch before; the only cakes I have ever made (that I can remember) were Angel Food cakes and they were from mixes so I can hardly wait to assemble the mini-cakes I made yesterday.

Each is rather dense. It is an Apple cake full of fairly large chunks of Mitsu apple. It is perfectly suited to this time of year when fresh apples abound; the comforting flavors of vanilla, nutmeg and cinnamon warm the soul in winter. BC is famous for its apples and adding a sauce with a Maple syrup base makes it a very Canadian cake.

It will plate beautifully with the dripping warm creamy Maple sauce and a dollop of whipped cream on top. 

PS: I  took the photo of one mini-cake on one of my maternal Grandmother's Wedgewood plates that has a beautiful raised white frieze. 

No comments: