Friday, January 15, 2016

This Week

Monday
Monday’s highlight was the revival of Chris Adkins’ Salon B.

Salons A and B were both formed of friends of Chris Adkins. Chris’ small apartment did not accommodate entertaining his friends during his treatments and decline, so we would assemble close by at the Sylvia lounge and he would come over. When the group got too large, we split into two groups. I joined both.

Salon A has never stopped getting together; we were Chris’ primary caregivers. Salon B is comprised of a lot of theatre people and we have more trouble getting together because Patti is always working or auditioning. Patti must be one of the city’s busiest actors.

We had a ball.

Tuesday
Constin came and we changed the aquarium water. We had lots of fun chatting about food too. He is such an energizing young man. I am terribly fond of him. This time he was trumpeting the merits of Yotam Ottolenghi’s dish called Soba noodles with eggplant and mango (Plenty, page 112). Costin has made almost every recipe in the book.

After he left, I took two bags of female guppies we extracted from my tank back to the Aquariums West.

Wednesday
The day began with the revival of another long-lost tradition of having dim sum at Pink Pearl with Dianne. Little beats her company in that environment. We thrive there and the location is nicely between us. Sadly, it was too dreary to walk either there or back, but I enjoyed bussing to Whole Foods to get the supplies I needed for the aubergine/mango salad.



Holy taste buds, Batman: Ottolenghi’s Soba noodles with eggplant and mango is incredible. I made it in the afternoon. The primary flavors come from the mango, the plentiful basil and, of course, delicious coriander.

It is a truly spectacular dish, just like every other dish I have made so far from Plenty. The sauce makes it; it contains sunflower oil, lime juice, lime zest, salt, sugar, garlic and just a tiny bit of diced red chili pepper.

My friend, Beth, is writing another memoire and she sometimes sends me bits she encounters in her diaries that involve me. I got an anecdotal email in the afternoon and it shocked me to read things I had done and/or said; young me seeming like a stranger.



Thursday
Thursday seemed to arrive on the heels of Monday. I wrote an essay I submitted to a newspaper and then I walked the seawall in my fabulous new coat. It is a think and stiff coat. Wearing it is like wearing a security blanket.

I have always had a thick stiff Hudson Bay blanket. I NEVER sit or lie down in my living room without it covering me. Using it is my passionate and compulsive habit. (I have two of them in case a guest needs one.) Now I have one to wear on my winter walks.

In the evening, I made Ottolenghi’s Soba noodles with eggplant again. Serious yum! I have to live on salads for a while. I put on about eight pounds during the holidays.






Friday

As I write this, it is 7:00 am Friday morning. My plan is to walk the wall and then come home to make a birthday cake for Dwight. Tomorrow night, we are celebrating his birthday with a dinner here. We’re getting Indian take-away at his request so that I don’t have to cook all day.

No comments: