Thursday, November 7, 2019

Latin

Today we break the record for the most consecutive dry days in Autumn set in 1954. We likely won’t have rain until Saturday. 
Today will be like yesterday; I’ll work on both leaves and the armature.
The new satin finish varnish makes the leaves look much  nicer than they look with a gloss finish. I’m gluing wire to each leaf with which I’ll attach them to a long string of white LED lights that will illuminate my entrance path by casting light through my large living room window. I’ll lay my creation along the sill of the window.
And the armature is really coming along! I’m thrilled with it. But I’m a long way from finished and until I coat it with paper, a photo is pointless. I absolutely love the work. It’s amazing to see an idea become three-dimensional. It’s going to be a joy to decorate when I am done.
If you now anyone who says, “at this point in time,” instead of, “now,” here are some really great phrases to share to aid in their quest to sound ... what? Intelligent? (Me? Judgemental?)
Noli me vocare, ego te vocabo.
Don't call me, I'll call you.

Fac ut gaudeam.
Make my day.

Radix lecti
Couch potato

Mellita, domi adsum.
Honey, I'm home.

Fac ut vivas.
Get a life.

Sona si Latine loqueris.
Honk if you speak Latin.
I’m off to walk with Her Highness. Then I’ll come home to work on my crafting and do some baking. There’s Apple pie and then there’s Mutsu Apple pie. It’s the best Apple pie I have ever eaten and I have enough Apples for two more pies.
Do you know much about Apples? My grade five teacher got me interested and later in life my passion for the story of Apples got me a writing gig for a local grocery market chain. Theirs, is a fascinating story.
What I love about the story is that the fruit, in all its varieties, that we love so much are “mistakes.” The Apples we eat are genetic mutations discovered serendipitously and then replicated through cloning. You can’t grow an Apple from seed. Their story astonished me and introduced me to one of my favourite “heroes,” Luther Burbank.
















No comments: