Friday, April 3, 2020

I Hate Stacking Wood!

Yesterday started magnificently!
Eoin had proposed we have a walk together with our dogs. He led us on a route I’d never taken before and it was a wonder. He showed me where Chanterelle mushrooms grow and took me to the local marsh that I’d long wanted to see, and we saw snakes sunbathing. It was just a terrific walk. And it was nice to have his (distant) company; he’s such a fine man.
The day began looking dreadful but it turned into a beauty just as we began our walk. When I got home there was barely a cloud in the sky.
I put on clean dry clothes when I got home because I was sweating so much from walking, rested a bit (with cookies) and then headed out to tote and stack more wood. I set no goals; I did not want to overdo things. Wednesday night, after sixteen wheelbarrows full I was exhausted, and my body ached.
But I got ten loads done before going for our second walk, this time with Anna and Minjou. And I just couldn’t face more wood toting when I got home. My speech had totally gone; I was back at square one very suddenly and I got very depressed about it. I blamed the hysteria about the virus.
But I was wrong, I reckon, because it is back and fine this morning, so I’m wondering if it was simply exhaustion from all the wood stacking after so long a walk.
By six o’clock my body wasn’t hurting so much, and I realize as I do more and more of this work, it’s going to get easier and easier. At least I hope it is! I’ll find out today. I expect to get back to it and work as long as the rain holds off.
Tonight: Two shows. One Man, Two Guvnors on YouTube and Best Worst Thing That Ever Could Have Happened on Netflix.
The local hardware store had a sale on suet: One dollar per bar, and so I got twenty of them. And now, my most regular visitor is a Downy Woodpecker. He is so cute and unafraid of me. I love seeing him every day.

















No comments: