Tuesday, April 21, 2020

More Books


I went shopping yesterday morning. It was quick and uneventful, but some things I wanted were out of stock. Afterwards, I took Sheba for a short walk and came home to be lazy, but the sky had cleared by noon so in the afternoon I watered a lot of the garden. But that’s all I did.
To pass the late afternoon and early evening, I watched Pistorius on Amazon Prime. All I knew about him was that he was a South African legless athlete who killed his girlfriend. But I was deeply moved by several components of his story. 
I did not know his father left the family, that soon thereafter his mother died and that he’d been very seriously injured in a boating accident before his appearance at the Olympics. Nor did I realize what a dedicated and hard-working athlete he was. His, is a compelling story with a horrid, tragic ending.
More books have arrived: A Man Called Ove by Frederick Backman; Olive Kitteridge by Elizabeth Strout; Naked by David Sedaris and Less, by Andrew Greer. But before I start reading again, there’s still yard work to do.
This morning, I mowed the back lawns and finished planting the wildflowers in the Campion garden. Still, everywhere I look, there are things to do and I seem to lack the motivation to do most of it. All I want to do, is nothing. This is not at all how I’m used to living. As the days lengthen, however, and as temperatures rise, I hope my mojo returns.
















No comments: