Friday, September 30, 2022

Dinner Party Day

Friends, true friends, make living worthwhile. I’ve been overwhelmed with gratitude to sense that my friends will stay with me. It makes living mute bearable. 

I’m drafting an email for Dyan and Nancy about my speech and how I might function with the clinic board and committees. I’ve had thoughts of quitting, but I think they’ll help me work with them. I may even join the board—if they want me in this condition (and I think they will). On the plus side, the board can justifiably take pride in having a disabled person in their ranks.

One wonderful thing regarding my clinic work, is that Nancy is taking my article, Self-Managing Your Health Care, an article for people without doctors, to the doctors to get their approval (and suggestions) so that we can put it in our newsletter. Baby steps. 

Yesterday, our BC government announced some good news! One: Pharmacists will be able to renew prescriptions and issue some as well. Also, they announced massive infusions of cash into the medical schools of UBC and Simon Fraser universities. Big baby steps.

Initially the board would not consider my article because it was impinging on the territory of our doctors and a no-no. But, I countered, our doctors are absolute shite at communicating and I was able to speak to my own experience. So, this progress, with us asking the doctors for their cooperation on this article at a meeting yesterday morning, is progress—and its progress initiated by your humble scribe.

Thursday was a terrific day, and there’s still no rain in the forecast. What a long slow beautiful end to Summer we are having!

I watered the gardens and then very happily hit the couch for some R&R time. All the clinic work of late, and all the anxiety over losing my voice completely had me feeling a desperate need for down time. I relished being with Bruno again, and lingering over lunch, before baking an Apple crisp for our dessert tonight. I’m hosting five wonderful gay men for dinner.

In the afternoon, I went into the village and bought myself a nice new cast iron wok in which to cook tonight’s dinner. And as I was mixing the dessert (Apple Crumble) I heard a honk in the driveway. It was François, bless his beautiful heart! He’d been into Nanaimo, and he brought be lots of bean sprouts. There have been none available on the island for days, and I was bitterly disappointed. But now I can make a great Phad Thai.

I’m sensing a very slight improvement in my speech. I can say some single words. But it’s heartbreaking being unable to speak to Sheba. However, I can whisper to her, so that’s what I’ve been doing. Tonight, my little party will be odd, but I’m prepared for it.

I had a lovely leisurely day yesterday and I plan to do the same today, and I am going to pass a gentle weekend that includes the Apple Fair at the Commons on Sunday afternoon. I am avoiding clinic work for a few days in case the stress of it is one reason for the decline in my speech. 

Today I’ve to prep all the ingredients for the Phad Thai. It can’t be cooked in advance, so I’ve lined up François to help me cook the dinners. I’ll work the wok, preparing two servings at once, and François will top them with lime juice, peanuts, and prawns, and then pop them in the oven to keep warm. We’ll work together until all six dinners are ready.

Sometimes, our modern technology simply stuns me. Beloved ex Steve is in Italy. I Facetimes him this morning at 7:30 and was able to briefly talk with him. He was in the middle of a tour of a winery that’s almost next door to the villa his friend Davina rented for a month. That’s where he and Tim, his partner, are staying. It was thrilling to see him and to be able, even briefly, speak with him. I’m going to try to catch him again later in the day.















No comments: