Friday, September 2, 2022

I’m a Lumberjill

 Oh my goodness, I’m a lumberjill. I oiled up my little chainsaw and cut two large pieces of wood into perfect little pieces for my fireplace. Then the chain came loose and, as I fiddled with dials and leavers to see if I could tighten the chain, the bar that holds the chain fell out of the saw. Undaunted, but totally Lackey in confidence, I re-attached the chain and tightened the casing back on that holds it in place. Much to my amazement, and delight, it worked. From then on, my only problem was the pain in my lower back from bending over to do all the sawing.

I have to say, that I was quite chuffed to be able to use the chainsaw. I am so nervous around machines, and so insecure, but in the end I was thrilled to be able to do a lot of things around the yard with a sore. I cut down three trees that have never taken hold. They look like an art installation called death. So they are gone. On my pile of wood, too long to burn, is now all in smaller pieces and stacked in the shed.

I cut down three trees that have never taken hold. They look like an art installation called death. So they are gone. And my pile of wood of pieces too long to burn, is now all in smaller pieces and stacked in the shed. It’s an amazing little tool that’s going to be very handy. It’s an amazing little tool that’s going to be very handy.

To reward myself for the effort of the morning, I went to the village to get a burger for lunch at Ground Up. I enjoyed sitting in the warm sunshine and watching the people come and go. I sat on the terrace in the company of a neighbourhood dog. And then it was back home to continue with the sawing. It wasn’t nearly as hot yesterday as it had been on the days before. I was relieved to be able to do yard work in reasonably moderate temperatures. 

In the evening – thank God for this iPad - I began my research on advertising rates in the various provincial  medical journals across Canada, and in some international journals. My research will inform Plan B of our recruitment campaign for new doctors for Gabriola. But after an hour or so of that, I was done. I was too tired to do more, and so I retreated to the sofa to watch a little bit of TV before going to bed early.

Today begins with Sheba and I joining our friends for a walk, and then I will come home to cook and bake in advance of my Saturday night dinner with my new neighbours, Dave and Ursula.

*

Hooray! It’s likely to rain in Sunday, my day. I’ll spend the day with Bruno and may light a fire to compensate for not having my primary toy—my computer. This iPad is a handy emergency device, but it is vastly inferior to using a computer. I can hardly wait for my new machine to arrive.

No comments: