Monday, August 3, 2020

Hurray: Off the Plateau!

The incredibly long waits to get the ferry make day trips to the big island unappealing. I’d anticipated far more day trips this Summer than I’ve had. And the situation with Sheba’s feet has precluded the long walks I’d envisioned for us as a prime Summer activity. Hence, I wind up working around Pinecone Park each day.

In two weeks, Dianne comes to visit (and stay here) and the week after that, Sue and Pam are coming to stay in a B&B on the island. I look forward to their visits as the routine of my days here is becoming uninspiring. I’ve naught but to press on with yard work.

The dog walk was lovely because it was not too hot. I mostly walk alone, but I say hello to many and often have short chats with some. It feels good to be part of a group.

A heartbreaking moment occurred when I got home. A Red-breasted Nuthatch flew into the glass door of my office. I was incredibly sad to see it so disabled by the accident, so I stayed with it until it opened its eyes and moved its head. But it was in a bad state. I stayed with it until it seemed able to hold its head upright and then I moved it to a quiet spot in the garden. I prayed it would recover and fly away. And it did!

Al the rest of the day, I did nothing, absolutely nothing. I didn’t read or do any work. I had a great spa, an even greater nap and then I watched a movie before making dinner and going to bed early. A true day of rest.

And great news for me: The scale said 192.9 this morning. That’s twenty pounds lost and I’ve only twelve pounds to go. Hurrah! I’m “off” the plateau and in descent again and I could not be happier. I’m amazed by how much I’ve embraced losing weight. Every day that yields a lower number, I am almost euphoric. 

















No comments: