Friday, October 22, 2021

Busy Thursday


This is the cake I made for Stacy’s party. I’ll add candles because it’s Rod’s birthday. It’s a Carrot cake and those are crushed Walnuts on the side. On top of the cream cheese dressing are some white chocolate leaves that I made. I can hardly wait to eat a (small) piece tomorrow night.

Today is International Stuttering Awareness Day.

Yesterday was one busy day. The walks, washing all the bedding from three bedrooms, baking the cake and icing it (a disaster: the icing was too warm, not the cake). I vacuumed the entire house, keept the fire going, cleaned the toilets, and did some pruning of the Hydrangeas and Grape Vines and I put all the detritus into the composter. 

I put the sloppily icing cake and the balance of the icing into the fridge, hoping like mad that cooling everything would allow me to ice the cake decently. I felt like I was on the Great British Baking Show, as I went into rescue mode. But no one saw my panic.

By the time I finished all my chores, including making all the beds, I was beat. It was, however, time for our second walk together, and Sheba was keen. And after that, my rescue strategy proved to be a noble solution. Phew! It may be the last time I bake a Carrot Cake. I’m such a whiz with chocolate; I should stick to my strengths.

Once the cake was in the fridge, it was time to clean up all the mess I’d made cooking it and crushing all the Walnuts. By then, it was 4:00 and I’d been working all day. Once the clean-up was done, reclining on the chaise, and starting a new book was the ideal reward.

After a week of no weight loss, I’m hoping to see some reward for my self-restraint this coming weekend. I’ve been very careful about what I eat and how much I eat, and I can see/feel the benefit already. But numbers say it all. Tonight, I’m going to a party where the hostess exceeds with canapés and I’m bringing the cake. I’ll be prudent but eating with friends always leads to more calories than when I’m alone. But hey, I’m making slow and steady progress and that’s good enough for me. The best part is that I’m enjoying this change and remain convinced I won’t put the weight back on. This is permanent, baby! 
















No comments: