Tuesday, October 26, 2021

Yay Stegner; Workshop a Go

Sunday night, walking half-consciously due to the stupor of sleep, I crashed my right foot into the bedpost, so yesterday I was hobbling around as little as possible, using a cane. My foot is profoundly painful. Two toes are as dark as the darkest grapes.

I walked for an hour with Stacy and felt fine, but once home, searing pain set in, so I spent as much of the day as I could on the chaise with a book. 

Wallace Stegner may be my favourite writer of all time. That position, until now, was held by Abraham Lincoln. The Gettysburg address is the most brilliant thing I have ever read. I went to London once, long, long ago, to see an exhibition on it and felt it was worth every cent it cost me to attend. But now, Mr. Stegner has gained equal status of my esteem.

Some great writers try too hard. Have you read Ulysses? I do not care for ‘showy’ writing. With Stegner, his excellence, his brilliance, feels completely natural. It doesn’t feel forced. I first read Angle of Repose, his Pulitzer Prize winning novel about the American west. It’s long been my favourite book, but I never ventured into his other works until yesterday when I commenced Crossing to Safety. Soon I’ll be buying more of his novels. I love this man’s extraordinary skill and humanity. Yum!

I was startled and thrilled to hear yesterday that the workshop I proposed to the Canadian Stuttering Association has been accepted and that I will be leading it. I had such a great time at last year’s conference (online as will be this year’s program), I’m very proud to be part of this year’s event. It’s happening in just over two weeks.

Stacy came to pick me up and take me to dinner at The Surf. I can’t walk quickly, so I hobbled into the restaurant. But boy we had fun! Stacy and I get along very well. It’s always a hoot being with her.

My whole right foot is now grotesquely swollen. I can walk, but I go slowly. My toes are still purple and I’m treating this injury with rest. I’m spending the day on the chaise reading and waving to walkers by.

















No comments: