Saturday, November 1, 2014

Gays and Rape

Because of Jian Ghomeshi, journalists are falling all over themselves discussing privacy and concepts of "consent" and "rape" and "abuse." Also, there's been a lot of talk about women coming forward or not coming forward and about why they do or do not take action.

I'm surprised more gay men are not speaking up because many boys (like me) suffered from abuse at the hand of men like the men who rape and beat women. I have always felt that my attacker was a gay man who hated being gay, so he lured me into sex but as soon as he had his relief, he beat me.

When I read now, as the women abused by Ghomeshi come forward, about their walk home, boy can I identify. After I was beaten, I could not ride my bike. I had to walk it home, in pain and in the deepest sense of shame. Did I report it? Are you kidding? I was in the closet and police have a reputation of not caring at all about male rape. I don't think it is that much different for a gay man and a woman who suffers from a sexual bully.

No comments: