Saturday, May 23, 2020

The Encounter

I watched The Encounter last night, on YouTube. It’s a one man show in which Simon McBurney tells and acts out the story of National Geographic photographer Loren McIntyre who, in 1969, became lost in a remote part of the Brazilian rainforest while searching for the Mayoruna people.
It’s weird, interesting, very, very technical, loud and, of course, a tour-de-force performance by Simon McBurney, who talks, non-stop, for two-and-a-quarter hours. It’s fascinating and Simon McBurney is a remarkable! 
Did I like it? Not really, because I didn’t feel anything. The only time I felt something was when the audience roared their approval at the end of the show. That gets to me every time. I love theatre, clever actors and magical imaginative journeys, and I love hearing the applause of the audience when I’ve liked the show. 
Today is cloudy and totally uninspiring. I expect to bake some cookies after a nice morning dog walk, and then to spend the day gently reading  under a blanket and with my pets beside me.
Just another quarantine day.

















No comments: